Flight Instructor Qualifications

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Civilian CPL's with 250TT should not be instructing. I don't care how nurturing and caring their FTU CFI is.
Reality is, CFI's probably off flying charters anyways, and phoning it in. He'll be gone next month.

If I was making the rules, you would need 1000TT to get a class 4 instructor rating. I would prefer 2000TT
and an ATPL for class 4, but we can't all get blowjobs every morning to wake us up, either.

This would do three things:

1) instructors would know a lot more about flying. A 1000TT pilot knows a fuck of a lot more about aviation
than a 250TT pilot. No one can dispute that.

2) flight instruction would no longer be a stepping stone to airline flying. If you have 1000TT, you can get a
job elsewhere - you don't have to instruct.

3) flight instructor wages would increase above the poverty level. FTU's would now have to compete with
703/4. I think $100,000/yr is a reasonable salary for a full-time instructor: 2000 hours per year (combined
flight and ground time, 40 hours/week) is only $50/hour.

This would vastly increase the quality of flight instruction. Yes, it would make it more expensive. I don't
see anyone complaining about USD$2500 for a fucking certified stall warning switch. It's not like Canadians
give a flying fuck at a donut about money anyways. Shut down the oil industry, shut down the rails. Ok,
I get it. Canadians don't like money. So, it shouldn't matter if flight instructors are paid the same as yoga
instructors.

Summary:

1000TT for a class 4 instructor rating
2000TT & ATPL for CFI (class 1 or 2)
Canadians don't like money

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Liquid_Charlie

I'll go one step further. It should be a separate licence and not just an endorsement on an existing license. They should be trained on how to instruct and all part of a curriculum and schooling. Professional, well paid instructors, what a concept.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Chuck Ellsworth

3) flight instructor wages would increase above the poverty level. FTU's would now have to compete with
703/4. I think $100,000/yr is a reasonable salary for a full-time instructor: 2000 hours per year (combined
flight and ground time, 40 hours/week) is only $50/hour.
Instructors who are high time pilots and properly trained in teaching methods and paid as above would actually save the students money as they would take less time getting their license.