Lifestyle

Helicopters
Scudrunner
Site Admin

One thing that always struck me with chopper flying is the pilots would seam to be on the road allot in remote places.

Other than Helijet or maybe Police, what kind of work schedule is the typical pilot flying?

I’d imagine rotations in and out of camp?

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
TwoCut

Scudrunner wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:37 pm
One thing that always struck me with chopper flying is the pilots would seam to be on the road allot in remote places.

Other than Helijet or maybe Police, what kind of work schedule is the typical pilot flying?

I’d imagine rotations in and out of camp?
3 on 3 off is what high time experienced guys usually settle on. But that’s changed from when we did 4 on 2 off which is sure to end in divorce and non sobriety problems.

Lots of guys moving states side for better pay and lifestyle the last few years. The work just isn’t what it was 15-20 years ago.

Offshore is picking back up international work can range from anywhere from 3 on 3 off to 8 on 8 off. Depends on where, but you mostly won’t be on anything C registered. There’s only 249 registered ATPL-H and 860 CPL-H as of 2021. Less than 1200 aircraft that are actually 702, 703 operated in Canada roughly. About 2000 in total but that number is dwindling since the pandemic
Nark

What are the times that people are getting hired with to fly an entry VFR only turbine? A-star, jet ranger R66?

Down here they want 1500+, but so many people are bailing for the airlines, I’m not sure what they are settling for. Surely around 1000TT.

For perspective, leaving the military after 20 years of flying (really 17-18…) you’ll be lucky to have 1500TT, probably 1000PIC. Nothing is single-pilot and I think every airframe is IFR capable (with IFR minimums to maintain). So a guy would at least be current-ish.
The only exception might be the Dauphin Coasties, or the USAF Huey dudes.

Come to think of it, I don’t think the USMC AH-1’s are IFR. Newer Z’ as might be.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TwoCut

Nark wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:52 am
What are the times that people are getting hired with to fly an entry VFR only turbine? A-star, jet ranger R66?

Down here they want 1500+, but so many people are bailing for the airlines, I’m not sure what they are settling for. Surely around 1000TT.

For perspective, leaving the military after 20 years of flying (really 17-18…) you’ll be lucky to have 1500TT, probably 1000PIC. Nothing is single-pilot and I think every airframe is IFR capable (with IFR minimums to maintain). So a guy would at least be current-ish.
The only exception might be the Dauphin Coasties, or the USAF Huey dudes.

Come to think of it, I don’t think the USMC AH-1’s are IFR. Newer Z’ as might be.
1500 is the lowest really feasible in this market to be profitable. You can get on with shady operators with less which lots have resorted to. +2000pic is the best for insurance, Canadians are mostly known for slinging and bucket work. USA don’t have the precision guys we have, and we’re starting to be aware of that.
Nark

Two different markets for sure. Even in Alaska, 90% of the chopper bubba’s are tour guides. Same in Vegas, and a bunch of other spots.

Buckets and lines aren’t super common, unless you’re doing dedicated fire work, like CAL fire or Erickson. There are a few regional tree trimmers who use long lines, but I’d say a small percentage, as compared percentage wise to my flannel wearing homeboys up north.

I don’t fly the hawk anymore (I’m a staff weenie now) but doing sling’s definitely took a lot out of me. To the point, it wasn’t enjoyable. To that point, I wouldn’t go in to practice it often enough and “fell out” of proficiency.
0BC3705C-49A7-43F0-878B-12F18189C654.jpeg
^^^ I can safely say, was my last sling flight. ^^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TwoCut

Nark wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:57 am
Two different markets for sure. Even in Alaska, 90% of the chopper bubba’s are tour guides. Same in Vegas, and a bunch of other spots.

Buckets and lines aren’t super common, unless you’re doing dedicated fire work, like CAL fire or Erickson. There are a few regional tree trimmers who use long lines, but I’d say a small percentage, as compared percentage wise to my flannel wearing homeboys up north.

I don’t fly the hawk anymore (I’m a staff weenie now) but doing sling’s definitely took a lot out of me. To the point, it wasn’t enjoyable. To that point, I wouldn’t go in to practice it often enough and “fell out” of proficiency. 0BC3705C-49A7-43F0-878B-12F18189C654.jpeg

^^^ I can safely say, was my last sling flight. ^^^
As of November 22, 2022 there is an H60A in Canada , no clue who brought it in. It’ll be interesting for sure if that hog gets on fires and sling work here.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/ ... 1&xso=desc