Retreating Blade Stall

Helicopters
Colonel

Talk to the fixed wing pilots about Vne, Goose

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Nark

Your favorite words:”gyroscopic precession.”

Probably never going to see it. Takes too much guts to get moving that fast.

Aerodynamic factors we worry more about are/is: mushing and settling with power (vortex ring state).

Fighter pilots are like Instagram influencers. Sure they look good, but other than that 1 Navy Bubba in 2017, there hasn’t been a dogfight in 2-3 generations.

Whereas chopper pilots are not smart enough to make a witty metaphor about how awesome we/they/ze are.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TwoCut

More prevalent in two blade semirigid underslung setup. Been in it, didn’t like it. LTE, Vortex Ring State, Servo transparency, and of course any kind of driveline failure are the things that are most front and centre with modern helicopters.
Colonel

I know people love Robbies but I don’t get the design where if one rubber band breaks, the automatic tensioning system breaks the other?

Also, carburetors. What could go wrong?
TwoCut

Colonel wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:49 am
I know people love Robbies but I don’t get the design where if one rubber band breaks, the automatic tensioning system breaks the other?

Also, carburetors. What could go wrong?
I refuse to work on or fly them personally. I respect what Frank did but this aircraft is made of sugar lol. And piston engines don’t belong in helicopters imo
Colonel

Your favorite words:”gyroscopic precession.”
I know, I know. But I experience it every day :^)

Tail goes up, nose goes left. Tail goes down, nose goes right. Hammerhead left, stick forward.

On the motorcycle on the highway, the goddamned steering is reversed!

Spinning wheels. Even if you don't try to turn the damn disc, it's got all kinds
of rotating inertia. My kid's Corvette has an aluminum flywheel.

On the subject of Robbies ... I've said this before, but the R22 is a mean little snake and should
only be flown by experienced pilots, which is the exact opposite of what happens, because it's
cheap. I found the heavier R44 much easier to fly - I could jump in and hover it with no training.

I tell my friends who want their rotary wing certificate, to fly the R44 - later fuel injected version - not the R22.
Nark

I’ve been blessed two fold: having never flown the R22 nor ever flown a piston chopper.

My hangar neighbor owns a share in a Robby, with bad blades because they’re time limited (12 years I think?)

I’m hoping to fly the news chopper in my retirement, (which by then will be a clapped out B206).

I’ll have to open the books and relearn LTE and mast bumping. I’ve been spoiled the last 9 years flying the heavier metal. Even when we almost ran out of power, we still had power.
Not the case in the jetranger, or worse, the Robbie’s.
My experience has been: better to fly them for someone else who owns them.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com