Elephant in the room And Labour Shortage

TwoCut

Canadian air transport industry hones in on labor shortage during 2022 ATAC conference

There’s an elephant in the room not being addressed me
Thinks.

https://skiesmag.com/news/canadian-air- ... onference/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scudrunner
Site Admin

The other big issues is getting training slots at the big training outfits such as Flight Safety and CAE.

If I was to hire a guy tomorrow the soonest I could get him a initial course is 14 months.

Many pilots that instructed at FS are heading back to the cockpit for the big dollars being offered. The retired airline guys who did instruct are going corporate flying because by not keep the retirement account full and still play or just their kicking their heels up.

It’s all related and great to see wages coming up but this is really going to get silly if we can’t get pilots into the cockpit.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
TwoCut

Scudrunner wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:25 pm
The other big issues is getting training slots at the big training outfits such as Flight Safety and CAE.

If I was to hire a guy tomorrow the soonest I could get him a initial course is 14 months.

Many pilots that instructed at FS are heading back to the cockpit for the big dollars being offered. The retired airline guys who did instruct are going corporate flying because by not keep the retirement account full and still play or just their kicking their heels up.

It’s all related and great to see wages coming up but this is really going to get silly if we can’t get pilots into the cockpit.
The wages that are coming up are long overdue for an overhaul. That’s not without heavy resistance from management, the crap wages are still out there largely. Schedules are still the shits, and the TFW program will continue to be exploited, that has to stop, it’s not fair for domestics or the TFW’s themselves. Agreed about FS, they’re under a bit of a shakeup right now with guys retiring and moving on.
anofly

I flew Flair from Florida to YKF the other week. Less than 50$ canadian all in. The cab ride was 30 USD to get to the airport, from a few miles away.
Booked on 2 days notice.
One could barely do a few circuits in a 182 for that!!
Scudrunner
Site Admin

It should be interesting how all these planes are going to be crewed especially now with all the new entrants into the Canadian market.
Looking around YYC I see Lynx 737 sitting around doing nothing most of the time. Flair is always going places but I have no idea their load factors.
Porter just announced their schedules with their new Embraers out of YYZ (don't even get me going on how dumb our governments are)

Have yet to see a Canada Jetlines aircraft going anywhere but not like I work that hard and mostly avoid big airports.

Again every day trying to find the pilots to staff these flights will be a challenge
TundraTire

Companies like Jetlines and Aeroflyer will be gap fillers for the likes of Sunwing and others, operating as subcontractors.

Flair will staff using ex-pats and South Africans.

Porter probably has a bit of an edge, in that they are an attractive eastern based operator. The dirty little "secret" though is that their contract and working rules are abysmal.

Lynx I wouldn't bet on, but I've been wrong before.
TwoCut

Most of these ULCC's have other Uses for the assets I’m sure. Fancy accounting has always been around airlines and private jets. I think recent changes to policy in the last few years (the pandemic) have made things easier to store money from other areas of industry in aircraft and their inventory. Just my two cents
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Wasn’t that what Canada 3000 was doing back in the day before 9/11 interrupted their shell game and it all came to an end.
TwoCut

Scudrunner wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:07 am
Wasn’t that what Canada 3000 was doing back in the day before 9/11 interrupted their shell game and it all came to an end.
Except things are being “encouraged” 20 some years later 😇
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TwoCut

anofly wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:02 am
I flew Flair from Florida to YKF the other week. Less than 50$ canadian all in. The cab ride was 30 USD to get to the airport, from a few miles away.
Booked on 2 days notice.
One could barely do a few circuits in a 182 for that!!
Makes you wonder if they’re actually making money besides their jacked prices for baggage at in person checkin. I’d love to see their books, and where if any revenue is taking place.