Canada Finally Pulls its head out of Ass – Selects F-35

News

March 28 2022 – Scudrunners Aviation News – Canadian military procurement is so politicized and screwed up that it’s hard to take announcements like todays seriously. However todays announcement by Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government that the RCAF will be acquiring 88 new fighter jets might actually come to fruition seeing as the Conservatives announced the procurement in 2010 before the Liberals cancelled it.

These days the second hand fighter jet market is booming (pun intended) otherwise Trudeau would have bought a few more used planes some other country was trying to scrap. That being said delivery of the first aircraft for Canada may become available in 2025 if an agreement is reached. Canada has the option to enter into talks with Saab, whose Gripen fighter was runner up to the F-35 in the “competition”.

Don’t worry folks they will screw this up somehow, my money is on some woke BS about changing the Cockpits name if the Liberals are still in power when Lockheed try’s to drop them off. Canada plans to buy 88 new fighter jets to replace its CF-18s.

The government has budgeted about CA$19 billion (U.S. $15 billion) for the purchase. JT will just print a few Billion more he has no idea went where and hope inflation is kept below 10% annually or he can resign before another scandal. Stay tuned Canada this is far from a done deal.

Source: https://www.news.scudrunners.com/canada ... ects-f-35/

Colonel

It's not easy, trying to out-do the Sea King and pistol procurements.

You know the 9mm Canada uses was developed before WWII? It's a
John Moses Browning-derived design, so it's pure genius, but still ..
they are 75 years old and getting a little worn out.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... t-drags-on

Get a Sig, for God's sake.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-m17.html

What we don't understand is that the bureaucrats have a competition going
amongst themselves, and it's not measured in years or even decades - it's
measured in generations of bureaucrats that have been on a single procurement.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Nark

Laser etched from our last deployment:
11A16333-A093-49E9-A939-4B06D55609F6.jpeg
BB70E767-AC0A-442B-A7DA-43E8DA596FDA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

Gorgeous! I sure wish some Canadian soldiers could have one of those instead of a 75 year old (!) worn out Browning.

I know everyone hated Stephen Harper - I'm still waiting to hear about his "hidden agenda" that the CBC told us all about, over and over again - but remember in 2014, he bypassed all this bullshit and ordered five C-17 aircraft from Boeing.

Jesus, the crying and screaming from all the bureaucrats, who had their decades of bullshit bypassed.

And that's why Canada has five nice airplanes to move big stuff around. Because of the PM you hated so deeply, Canada. I know my opinion is biased, but he was the best PM you ever had.

Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:00 pm
Gorgeous! I sure wish some Canadian soldiers could have one of those instead of a 75 year old (!) worn out Browning.
From what I have heard from any soldier I know is they don’t share your sentiment. Not that they wouldn’t want a new piece of kit, but rather that they didn’t feel that lugging a pistol around was that useful, and if the government was going to spend money on new stuff, pistols were pretty far down the list. Maybe even last on the list. To quote a buddy of mine, “what am I going to do with this thing?! It’s extra weight and a second set of ammo. I would rather replace it with two more mags for the C-7. There is nothing I would do with it that I wouldn’t prefer the C-7 for. I guess it’s a perk of being an officer, but I’m not some commissar who is going to be threatening the troops with it.”

His real wish was for better helicopters. He had no kind words for the Griffin.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

Square Tail,
It’s funny you say all that.

My standard load out is a pistol and a backup is the M4.
The M4 would be in the armory until I grabbed it with my flight gear. Ever try to eat a steak with plastic knife and fork and a rifle slung around your neck?
My pistol was with me at all times. So much less cumbersome.

I was going to send a shot out at the Griffon. It couldn’t fly higher than 3’ because it was so under powered when the temps rose above 25*. Kind of useless when you need to move more than a fire team worth of soldiers.

The reason we switched from the M9 to the M17/18 is because the M9 is a piece of shit. Some asshole general needed a retirement gig and probably got it on the board of Beretta.
I don’t know anything about the Browning. If the troops like it, keep it. If they keep jamming due to work down parts and pieces, at least come to the 21st century.

Ever wonder why none of the Special Ops groups use the same pistol as the rest of the DOD?
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Squaretail

Don’t get me wrong, it was unanimous that the Browning was worn out and obsolete. Not worth its weight to pack around. Also, they were disgusted at the fiasco to replace it. Keep in mind these were all infantrymen. I don’t know how other servicemen thought.

Again words of another buddy “ if the taxpayer is going to buy me something good, get me a better pair of boots, a backpack or better food, not a pistol I probably won’t use.”

Further on the Griffon, I was told because it was so heavy with all the extra armour added, it could only carry 3 soldiers. Or two if they wanted to transport a machine gun somewhere. He also said that in more absurdity, they always travelled in pairs, where one was overwatch with a single gunner. So two helps to move three guys…
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Colonel

10,000 landings. 10,000 rounds.

I have one simple rule: it's gotta go bang every time the trigger see 3.5 lbs.