C-GERR YAM April 2/2024

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Slick Goodlin

All I’m saying is I get the impression they’ve stuck their necks a long way out on that one for a while. When I was there as a student and later instructor there was no real work-up to that exercise. That’s not how I’d do it today but then again I no longer provide flight training.

Colonel

Was the student a Great Big Guy?

One of my greatest fears, doing spin training, is that I wouldn't be able to overpower the student
when they locked up on the flight controls, keeping the aircraft in the spin.

That's an advantage you Canadian guys have - heavy metal fire extinguishers in the cockpit
which come loose during aerobatics and float around the cockpit. See, you can grab one of
those and hit the student until they release the flight controls and allow the aircraft to recover.

We don't have heavy metal fire extinguishers down here, so that's not an option.

The student is allowed to NOT do the right thing during a lesson. The question is for me is
(which no one else here gives a shit about is) did the instructor try to correct the students
incorrect actions? If so, was the instructor unable to overpower the student?

Again, please don't blame this on the wind (see above) or the aircraft or solar flares or the
eclipse or global warming. This was caused by a pilot that wouldn't let go of the control
column. If these guys had just let go of the control column when the power was reduced,
the aircraft would have dropped the nose to maintain the previously trimmed airspeed.

The problem here was the pilots. Not the airplane, which was forced to crash by the
panicked pilots.

I keep asking pilots, demonstrate a stall/spin to me, with your hands in your lap and
your feet on the floor. The aircraft doesn't want to stall or spin - it is forced to do so,
by the pilots.

Own that.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm
This was caused by a pilot
Yes, but then what? Ostracize them forever or figure out what they saw, what they thought (or didn’t), and what they did so that this whole aviation thing can keep moving forward?
Colonel

Good question. Down here a highly skilled and experienced pilot with a lifetime accident free record just had his pilot certificate revoked… so perhaps in this case involving destruction and injury logically something more severe would be appropriate?

There were actually two pilots on board. What was the instructor doing? Was he on his phone? Any responsibility there? Bueller?
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.