152 at Claresholm, Alberta

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Squaretail

https://globalnews.ca/news/9926402/clar ... ane-crash/

Seems to be a lot this year.

Wonder if reduced vis with all the smoke had anything to do with it. It can randomly get really bad this year. Seen a lot of CLR days go down to under a mile really quick.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Colonel

One theory about the T-6 crash over the lake at OSH was the smoke.

The ADS-B showed that she climbed up, stalled and spun in. Maybe lost the horizon?

I know that seems unlikely at first, because she had her instrument rating, but the
transition from VMC to IMC can be sneaky.

Remember that priest that dug a hole in the ice, and TC added the 5 hours IFR to the PPL?

I don't know much, but I do know that year after year, people keep replaying the same accidents.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Dam, that is a shame one hell of a trip flying across the country solo in a 152. Or did I read that right ?

I flew from Tofino to Airdrie today. First time doing the IFR to VFR flight plan thing in ForeFlight discovered my encoder was reading 400 high.

Departed YAZ climbed out went up to 13000 trucked east got some icing descended down good visibility able to cancel around Penticton and pretty much go direct through the rocks.

Popping out to the prairies the vis was shit with all the smoke. That was probably the worst part of the flight other than hearing all the noobs attempting to conflicts please advise their way out of piloting I went low and somehow found my airport.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

The worst part about flying in smoke is that it gets the leading edges and windshield of the airplane all dirty.

If it ain't the bugs, it's the ashes!
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I was very proud of my washing the plane with rain and ice IMC however that was all undone in the last 30
Miles on the prairies. I estimate to have killed more bugs than a Freighliner going coast to coast
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:40 pm
One theory about the T-6 crash over the lake at OSH was the smoke.
Colonel

Well, after all, it was "Canadian Geese" that took down Sully, and put an Airbus in the Hudson river ....

PS You'd think that flying through rain would clean the airplane, but no ... every time I do it, I get these
ugly greasy smears out of the engine cowlings. I don't think I'm doing it right. Like sex. If it hurts, you're
probably not doing it correctly. I had phone sex once. That really hurt.