C310 Santa Fe NM July 18 2023

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Colonel

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/318173

I must be reading the ADS-B data wrong.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N52 ... F/tracklog

Most of the flight was conducted at or below airport elevation?

Look at the steadily decreasing airspeed, likely ending in a Vmc demo. This is weird, because
even though the density altitude is high, he has turbos and is alone in the airplane, so he can't
possibly be at max gross. He's not a newbie PPL, either - ATP with types. I don't get it. This
was a survivable incident. Possibly even flyable to an undamaged landing with correct technique -
gear up, flaps up, dead engine feathered, blue line, ball half out, 2 degrees of bank.

Perhaps he never got around to feathering the dead engine. Sigh. Maybe he had a fuel selector
error, or boost pump shenanigans, and he was trying to diagnose that in ground effect after takeoff.

I remember one day, Bobby and I were climbing out in the 421. He was really tired, and before we
reached 1000 feet he switched the fuel selector for one of the engines from main to off. I suspect
he wanted to select aux but .... anyways, I sat there and when the engine quit and Bobby turned
to look at me, his eyes as big as saucers, I told him, "Maybe turn the fuel back on" :-) There must
be something wrong with me, because I thought it was really funny.

My main problem in that situation is people are so pumped with adrenalin, they may very well
rip the fuel selector off in their frenzied hand. I'm not joking. Fast hands in the cockpit kill.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I remember my first sim session in the mighty Beech 1900D the totally green guy occupying the left seat turned into a flurry of hands and commands when the engine quit at V1.
All this despite the instructor walking us through the SOP and memory items moments before.

I thought this was just what happened with noobs, but over the years at sim being paired up with pilot of varying experience I can't figure out how some of these guys haven't made headlines.

Part 91 types are a coin flip they have either shit together or your going to have a fun week.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:40 pm
He's not a newbie PPL, either - ATP with types.
Lots of possibilities. Maybe he doesn't fly the 310 very often.
He was really tired,

People do stupid stuff when they're tired. Another possible hole in the swiss cheese, but I guess we'll never know.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...