2021 YQT Aero Commander accident report

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Slick Goodlin

This was up my way and unfortunately the reason was every bit as dumb as I’d feared.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... c0078.html

I wish there was some background info on the pilot. Was he working his way up through a career, was he a pilot furloughed from some airline and thought this was just an easy flying vacation, or something else?

Scudrunner
Site Admin

I’ve done a lot of stupid in airplanes but the previous quick turns flying by the tower then this. dam bruh
The accident sequence was captured by a video camera mounted on the Emergency Response and Operations Centre at the Thunder Bay Airport (CYQT). In addition, data captured by the automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) system and Skynode S200 flight tracking units from the occurrence aircraft were successfully downloaded and analyzed.

The occurrence pilot was instructed to line up and hold on Runway 12 to accommodate an incoming aircraft for landing. While holding, the occurrence pilot and the pilot of the incoming aircraft—who knew each other—had brief communications. The incoming aircraft then landed on Runway 25 and the occurrence pilot was cleared for takeoff on Runway 12.

Immediately after rotation, the occurrence pilot selected the landing gear up to reduce drag and then conducted a rapid, climbing, steep left-bank turn, possibly attempting to perform a low-level flyby of the incoming aircraft that was now taxiing in an east-northeast direction on Taxiway A. When the aircraft entered the rapid, climbing, steep-bank turn, heightened g forces resulted in an increased wing load, and the aircraft entered an accelerated stall at an altitude from which a recovery was not possible.

Finding as to causes and contributing factors

After takeoff from Runway 12 at CYQT, as the pilot conducted a rapid, low-level, climbing steep turn, the aircraft entered an accelerated stall that resulted in a loss of control and subsequent collision with the surface of Runway 07 in an inverted attitude.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

Well… at least he didn’t take the fire bubbas with him.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TundraTire

The thread on the other forum describes the pilot as a Bearskin guy on furlough. It was a Bearskin plane that landed just prior to the crash. Lucky he didn't wipe them out too.

Dumb.
Slick Goodlin

TundraTire wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:46 pm
The thread on the other forum describes the pilot as a Bearskin guy on furlough. It was a Bearskin plane that landed just prior to the crash. Lucky he didn't wipe them out too.
I’d heard the Bearskin flight was taxiing in on A when a rush of fuel and fire from the accident plane passed them on 07. Pretty awful stuff.
Colonel

This is eerily like the Hawaii King Air meat bomber. Kid flying it decided to exceed the stalling AoA right after takeoff, killed everyone on board.

I don’t mind people who are shitty pilots. That ship has sailed. But maybe the shitty pilots shouldn’t pretend to be skilled pilots?

Like most things in life, we can measure the skill of pilots and we will almost certainly end up with a bell curve or normal distribution.

See, the shitty pilots on the left hand side of the bell curve should not try to do things that the skilled pilots on the right hand side of the bell curve can easily do.

A four bars, for example should not try to do this:

Pro Tip: those who are proud of their lack of stick and rudder skill should stick to button pushing
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.