Crash near Shaunavon, Sask

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Squaretail

https://globalnews.ca/news/9141964/plan ... katchewan/

Pipeline patrol Cessna 172 with 2 on board. I don't envy those guys, they do long days. God Speed.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TwinOtterFan

His good friend was just posting on Reddit about this.

Slick Goodlin

Kinda sounds like a flight college grad. That college will more than likely soon have another trophy in their case that they award annually to the grad who demonstrates the best this-or-that.

To any flight school students reading this: please remember every time you get in an airplane for the rest of your life that there are enough trophies in that damned case already.
Colonel

Unlike most other things you can do, aviation is terribly unforgiving of mistakes. This is not something new, and every day more youngsters discover this.

You fly long enough, you’re going to lose a lot of friends along the way. The longer you fly, the longer your list of dead friends.

Personally, if you’re not comfortable riding a liter bike in traffic, don’t climb into a little airplane either.

Aviation in the 21st Century is pretty demented. The training is soft and gentle, designed not to hurt feelings. This leaves people woefully unprepared for the real world which will thoughtlessly kill them.

I personally regret not teaching R Lee Ermey his flight instructor rating. He would have been superb. His snowflake students might have burst into tears, but far fewer of them would die because of their superior knowledge and skill.

I’m from the 20th Century. I believe in training very very hard so that life is easy. I know that hurts feelings. I’m ok with that.

I’ve mentioned I trained some Mooney pilots for the OSH formation arrival. They thought they were pretty hot stuff, with their instrument ratings. Every single one of them barfed flying close formation in the afternoon heat and bumps.

Train hard so life is easy.

Teaching my kid aiirshow formation aerobatics, I repeatedly told him to “get in there”. Get close. No “comfort zone”. Every training flight, at least once or twice you should think you are going to die.

That’s how you get good. Really good. If you’re not interested in getting good, sooner or later you’re probably going to die.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:38 pm
Personally, if you’re not comfortable riding a liter bike in traffic, don’t climb into a little airplane either.
Uh oh. Who do I surrender my license to?
Colonel

Who do I surrender my license to?
Arlo Speer will be glad to help you with that.

Be sure and ask him about my laptop and phone.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Everyone is trying to kill you, that includes yourself.
-Scudrunner
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:40 pm
Everyone is trying to kill you, that includes yourself.
-Scudrunner
That’s why I have to take out that son of a bitch first…
digits

Colonel wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:38 pm

Aviation in the 21st Century is pretty demented. The training is soft and gentle, designed not to hurt feelings. This leaves people woefully unprepared for the real world which will thoughtlessly kill them.

I personally regret not teaching R Lee Ermey his flight instructor rating. He would have been superb. His snowflake students might have burst into tears, but far fewer of them would die because of their superior knowledge and skill.

I’m from the 20th Century. I believe in training very very hard so that life is easy. I know that hurts feelings. I’m ok with that.
Or, perhaps it's possible to teach someone superior knowledge and skill without the need to make them cry?

Wouldn't that be something...

Just because your students don't cry, doesn't mean they got shitty instruction.
And if students are crying after flying with an instructor, doesn't mean that instructor was the best either.

I would wager that there is no correlation between the amount of tears shed during an instructional flight and the competence of the instructor and/or student.

Tears are caused by a personality mismatch or a sadistic instructor. Not by the level of instructing.
anofly

I like Andrew,
I think its time we found a mole at transport, and get them to find and return the phone and laptop!!!
crumb the police would have given it back by now for a major crime. Transport has had it forever for what, an argument???? flying aerobatics? teaching people to fly taildraggers? surely they have to give it back!!!