Bf 109

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Colonel

Why pilots treat aviation with contempt is a mystery to me. It is expensive, painful and even fatal to do so.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

I bet a Bf-109 is sporty on pavement. Shame that every time one is running you can bet someone is recording.
Squaretail

Maybe its just me, but it looked like he was fishing for the proverbial "greaser".
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
David MacRay

If he was he needs to switch lures/bait.
CaptNerdly

Think I read somewhere more Bf109s were lost in landing accidents than in combat.
Colonel

WWII thinking was that you operated tailwheel aircraft from a large grass field, so no crosswinds.

Flying those aircraft off dry paved runways with a crosswind is borderline insane and requires a level of stick and rudder skill which is virtually unknown these days.

My old friend Larry was a wizard stick. Flew a DH85 Hornet Moth biplane with an enormous wing span and zero dihedral off dry paved runways with a crosswind. Take a look at its journey log sometime. Hi there!

Rick Volker flew a Bf109 off a dry paved runway with a howling crosswind but again he was an exceptionally good stick.

News flash: you may strut around in a flight suit, but you will never even have half the skill of Larry or Rick.

And it doesn’t matter what I say, or if your feelings get hurt. The airplane doesn’t give a shit about any of that. Remember that as you start to groundloop.

Skip forward to 3 minutes. This guy edits as well as he flies

Nark

Great stabilization on short final.

Didn’t see that ground loop coming.

Come in gents, there’s no shame in going around. There is in ground looping a perfectly good aircraft at a manageable airport.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
dumbbell daddy

Why is he wearing an RAF type white flying glove on one hand? Lol
Colonel

I know.

And, this is why you should always check the gear alignment in taildraggers. They’ve all been groundlooped with no logbook entries.

Bent gear makes them even harder to land.
Slick Goodlin

I’d venture the 109’s gear is a little fucky by nature.