DC3 crash in Alaska, video in link

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
David MacRay

Here’s basically what happened.

I was using the fuel from Shell marked 87 octane at the pump in my car.

It ran fine until it got too hot driving toward Medicine Hat on a trip in August to Saskatchewan. Then there was some rattling noise under full power.

I believe it was detonation even though the engine was not destroyed. So maybe something else happened.

Then, and try to stay with me here.. A short time later when I turned off the key at the next stop, the engine continued to sort of run.

Yes I know in one paragraph I wrote, I was thinking of detonation, then suddenly I’m writing about something else that happened to the same engine in the same car using the same fuel. Except one happened when driving at full throttle, the second separate thing, happened when at idle after turning off the ignition.

We sometimes called that dieseling when I was a kid because the fuel is being ignited from compression, instead of a spark or electric arc.

When I filled it with the fuel at the Shell labeled higher yet still under 100 octane.

Both went away. I’m not putting you on. No rattling under full throttle and when you turned off the key the engine stopped running.

Sorry if it’s still confusing. My communication skills are terrible.

Colonel

I think you and your wife should get matching 1973 SD-455 Trans Ams.

Different colors, of course. Keep it classy.

That's a total of 8 seats, so lots of room for pax and pets and bags.

You could pay for them with the video of you going places. Not often
you see (and hear) two 1973 SD-455 Trans Ams wide open.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
David MacRay

Love it.

If my wife was that cool I’d have bought an airplane.

And probably a 1955 Chevrolet wagon to pull the trailer.
Slick Goodlin

A guy I know just sold one of those hot Firebirds, I think for around 180k USD. It was a pretty exceptional example though; double digit mileage, all the options (including ones that shouldn’t have come together) and a zero owner car. He picked it up from a dealership that never sold it and since he also is a GM dealer they just did a lot transfer. If Pontiac still existed the car’s new owner could have had a warranty!

Yes, yes, seals and stuff deteriorates when a car sits so long but that had all been addressed in the last five years. Wild to see it on a hoist showing off original stickers, inspector marks, and even paper stock tags still hanging off the brake lines.

Anyways I think we were talking about a super DC-3?
Colonel

Wow! A preserved car like that is so special, it's almost a shame to start
changing stuff on it to make it a driver, after half a century. Everything
rubber or flexible - seals, gaskets, hoses, belts - has to be replaced.

It really oughta be in a museum somewhere, "as-is".
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.