Cessna stalls

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
JW Scud

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:00 pm
You're not going to believe this, but I'm pretty sure that you can
get crosswind landing gear for the Cessna 190/195.
Indeed they did - I have seen it, not very common and certainly weird enough to get your attention walking by. If memory serves me correct the owner (195) replaced the gear with conventional, he just could not deal with the concept. -- haha
Black Air. Apparently on found over the water. Correct.

Liquid_Charlie

Blackair came out of the years in the eastern arctic and coming out of fjords and strips with all those mountains that were there and you couldn't see. The aircraft just seemed to not perform or climb as fast as you would like. We coined the phrase black air has no lift, just a pucker factor thing and hoping you didn't need to cage one at the critical times. I worked a whole winter once on the backside of the moon -- damn it was dark -- haha

Obviously the fuel thingy comes from the arctic experience as well. Long way between gas stations with changeable wx. The back door needed a little extra range from time to time and yes going from Baffin/Ellesmere to Greenland and coming from the other direction, Svalbard north and back to Greenland as well, water and poor ice. Those were my hawker days and I have had that old girl on the ice at the north pole and working out of Svalbard on the ice on unprepared strip on a lead at 86N We did some neat work with that old girl. Lots of ice work in the spring silly season in Resolute and north as well.

The north pole trip was for a party, can you believe it. It's an interesting story and my first contact with the Russians on the ice.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"