Two Weak Pilots

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Colonel

Atlas hired Aska despite his training failures at other airlines, and paired him with Blakely, who had had training difficulties at Atlas.

Aska came to Atlas in 2017 after failing his test to become a captain at Mesa Air. He had previously dropped out of training programs at Air Wisconsin in 2012 and CommutAir in 2011, but did not list those employment stints on his application with Atlas.

In 2015, Blakely failed his proficiency test on the Boeing 767 and was placed in a monitoring program “as a result of [his] repetitive need for additional training.”
I remember Rockie specifically telling me before this accident that I was really stupid
to be concerned about pairing two weak pilots.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Colonel

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has determined that the Feb. 23, 2019, crash of Atlas Air Flight 3591 was most likely caused by the first officer’s failure to respond appropriately to an inadvertent activation of the Boeing 767 cargo jet’s go-around mode on approach to George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH).

the resultant spatial disorientation led the first officer to put the aircraft into a “steep descent from which the crew did not recover.”

The investigation also concluded that the first officer had a history of training performance difficulties along with a “tendency to respond impulsively and inappropriately when faced with an unexpected event during training scenarios.”
It's important to remember that Aviation in the 21st Century is first and foremost an expression of egalitarianism.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
mcrit

I remember when I was doing scheduling, there were certain FOs who where restricted to flying with senior captains. It was a good policy.
The Dread Pilot Roberts

With covid knocking senior WJ mainline pilots down to the kids airline, Encore might be safe to fly.

Bet the Encore group regret that single seniority list demand now.
Slick Goodlin

The Dread Pilot Roberts wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:02 am
Bet the Encore group regret that single seniority list demand now.
Do they? I thought the ones who wanted (needed?) it most were the senior Encore pilots who were originally hired under the promise of moving into the jet some day.
Nark

I was a 300hr wonder when I left Canada for a greener pasture. My concern was working the ramp in Stony Rapids and getting a coveted slot in the right seat of a single pilot airplane...

The term “scope” never entered my lexicon until I started flying an RJ down here.
With all that said, what sort of scope does Westjet have with encore... and for that matter, the glorious Air Canada?
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com