Meanwhile in Dubai....

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Eric Janson

This what was sent to me by one of my contacts.

Hasn't been made public (probably won't be)

FlyDubai 737 - almost the same outcome as the Rostock crash.
The crew reported at around midnight and deadheaded on the first sector in economy for 4½ hours, getting zero rest, following which they operated the return sector back to Dubai.
They did their first go-around in DXB apparently due to rain on the runway. Standard missed approach.
They then tried another approach but went around again. During that second go-around they accepted a turn. During the turn the Captain evidently dived the aircraft towards the ground at approximately 4000 fpm rate of descent. The descent was arrested at approximately 1200ft AGL (evidently when somewhere overhead Mirdif).
During the recovery, the aircraft nose was pulled hard up generating an 8000 fpm rate of climb.
No doubt endeavouring to level off, a negative G was imposed on the airframe (one that required that the aircraft be grounded for inspection).
They came around for the 3rd approach and landed.
The crew have apparently been suspended.
Evidently, and iaw with the 'advice' from the GCAA, night deadheads have stopped and flight deck are now doing layovers instead. Daytime deadheads still happening but rumour has it they will stop soon too.

Colonel

Everyone knows that you save money by making weak pilots fly fatigued, because nothing can go wrong.

Remember, basic skills and systems knowledge have no place in the cockpit in the 21st Century.

It's all about the sharp uniform, pushing buttons and reading books instead of flying.

The Brain Trust™ tells us that. I believe them.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Eric Janson

This is now confirmed. I guess they couldn't keep it under wraps.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d3baf19&opt=0
During the second missed approach, immediately after selecting TOGA at 1900 feet, the aircraft entered into a descent of 9 degrees nose down with a right bank reaching a maximum descent rate of 4000 fpm.
20 seconds from impact.
Liquid_Charlie

So were they hand bombing or fucked up the automatics. Sure seems that there were manual stick inputs at some point for such an erratic profile. These guys were either piss poor pilots, poorly trained, low experience, combination of all the above or they were up for 48 hours. I have flown fatigued and actually have hoped that nothing went sideways at top of decent but muscle memory is a wonderful thing but that needs to be developed for all flight regimes.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Colonel

I hope their feelings don’t get hurt.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Liquid_Charlie

Not likely -- just another day at the office.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Eric Janson

I've never flown the 737NG but if it it is a similar autopilot setup to the 737-300 - the autopilot disconnects when a go-around is commanded.

Initially the go-around has to be hand flown. Once the aircraft is trimmed out correctly the autopilot can be re-engaged. It can be quite a handful - 2 engine go-arounds are almost never done in the Sim.

When I did Sim instruction I was surprised at how often the 2 engine go-around went wrong.

Likely scenario is a manually flown go-around with somatogravic illusion. Several accidents as a result including the Rostock crash.

Some companies fly an ILS with both autopilots engaged - this will allow a single autopilot to remain engaged during a go-around.