OSH 2023

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

Many Bonanzas. Could be all of them?

I know I'm a pervert, but I really enjoyed watching the Barons land in formation.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

Was able to sneak out of my secret squirrel training and snag a front row seat to Air Assault.
IMG_1829.jpeg
IMG_1839.jpeg
IMG_1840.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I saw those whirly-thingies and wondered if that was you - your backyard after all.
Slick Goodlin

Looks like it was a particularly nice year out at OSH. Wish I could have gone but the $2500(!) in round trip gas was off-putting.

Maybe next year.
Colonel

I know 100LL is crazy expensive.

But people keep telling me there’s no inflation.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:03 pm
Seems like mogas is even more expensive in the long run. Someone must have put some in the Cubs because their fuel level floats have both sunk. There’s a fix but I have to time it just right. I wonder what it’s done to other seals and things in there…
Colonel

That's the problem with mogas. You have no idea what is in it - and it varies from tank to tank -
and no idea what your 70 year old aircraft fuel system will tolerate.

Did the Alcohol get you?

Pro Tip from an old pessimist ... anything "soft" (ie non-metal) like hoses, belts, gaskets, seals, o-rings, diaphragms ... after 10 years, it doesn't owe you anything. It might last a little bit longer if it doesn't see extremes of heat and chemicals, but think about changing them. Sooner or later they're going to cause you problems, regardless of any paper on the subject.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:23 pm
That's the problem with mogas. You have no idea what is in it - and it varies from tank to tank -
and no idea what your 70 year old aircraft fuel system will tolerate.

Did the Alcohol get you?
Beat guess is that’s what ate the sealer off the cork. The corks have a date with an oven on low heat before getting resealed but I suspect it’s going to make the whole house smell like gasoline and like I said, timing will be key to my survival.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:03 pm

But people keep telling me there’s no inflation.
Actually I think 100LL is one of the few less inflated things. I mean it’s price is still up, but not the same as lots of other things. I mean, why are muffins so friggin expensive? I digress. But I paid 2.75/L today, but I remember it being 2.35/L same place 10 years ago. I think it’s a 1.90 at home at the moment up from 1.65 again 10 years ago. Over 20 years ago, the school sold it for 2.03 a litre, for as long as I can remember. By contrast those muffins were under 2.50 for six, now they’re almost 10 bucks for four!? Why is it so hard to get a bran muffin these days! Is it the raisins!?
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...