Side gigs & CompTIA A+

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
TwinOtterFan

Hey Colonel, not flying related directly but was wondering your thoughts on takng a CompTIA A+ bootcamp or course?

I am looking to get out of the ambulance and doing something else while I am finishing my commercial and I keep seeing a lot of job postings that require that course or qual. I used to write in C, C++, C#, and VB many years ago, I still dabble with Arduino's and have recently started some app development in Flutter. I also have a lot of experience with PLC's and HMI's.

I was thinking this could be a field I could break into and continue to possibly freelance while being a pilot if needed as it can be done remotely.

Colonel

I don’t know anything about those bootcamps but someone with aptitude and skill is going to be in demand.

Not sure about remote work at the entry level but there is lots for experienced people.

It doesn’t matter so much how you get the skill. The important thing is that you have it. I have worked with people with no degrees and I work with plenty of people with PhD’s from fancy schools, and it just doesn’t matter.

Do what you enjoy. That sounds stupid but if you like it you will do lots of it and get good at it. Life is too short to do something you hate.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
TwinOtterFan

Doesn't sound stupid, and I do enjoy it. My house has automated door locks and security camera, but my son does not have keys or a phone, so I took an Arduino board with wifi, added an RFID reader to it and then gave him a key fob on a lanyard, so now if he ever gets home before me he can tap the key fob on the glass and the board will push a command to an IFTTT server which can then interact with my security system and unlock the door. Probably could have given him a key but it was way more fun this way.

I guess it is worth looking into. This medic gig has an expiry date.
Colonel

I know the feeling. You don’t want to be a 40 year old lifeguard.
TwinOtterFan

Hahaha true, but what I meant was the medic company I work for will be ending its contract in this area likely at the end of the year and I am not following them.

I'm hoping that I can finish my CPL and instructor rating before then and then maybe have that as an option, but was looking for alternatives as well.

My instructor thinks I should be flight test ready by 160 hours, but I have heard that some of the local examiners do not like it when the student attempt to test under 200TT. So that may be a strike against me.
Colonel

I don’t know your DPE but …

Be a well-prepared candidate. Know your aircraft systems and be able to find stuff in the POH. Know the flight test guide - be able to do everything in it within the specified tolerances, on your worst day.

Students don’t understand this, but they are moving parts between instructors and examiners. A student’s performance is QA on the instructor.

When a particular instructor recommends a student, the DPE has a pretty good idea of what he’s getting, before you even show up.