Fly-In Tomorrow Cancelled

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

VRB03KT P6SM BKN150
Because of the bad wx. Low cloud, ya know.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Colonel

TAF update:

P6SM VCSH SCT040 BKN100

Oh dear. That’s some hard IFR there.
Squaretail

Them clouds are scary things if you don’t see them very often!
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Where was this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

California. Despite the fact that we desperately needed the rain, apparently everyone was triggered by the “hurricane”.

I am not making this up.

It helps if you realize that the same people flying, are the ones driving cars.
Squaretail

In California you file IFR because a) its what the cool kids do, and b) because cool kids talk to controllers. No one files vfr. No one files IFR to penetrate clouds, at least in the GA world in that part of the world. I did an "IFR" approach into KBIH one day. If you consider BKN 020 scary. People thought i was some kind of daredevil. My funny accent helped with the mystique.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Colonel

No flying today
VRB03KT 6SM HZ SCT150
Unless you’re a crazy-ass Canuck, and you’re willing to risk flying with less than a 20C dew point spread. Usually it’s 30C spread.

Someone used to flying on the east coast would laugh so hard, they would probably swallow their chewing gum.
Nark

It’s like flying in to Airventure.

I like going when it’s super marginal VFR(I know, I know, it’s like being pregnant. It’s either marginal VFR or not…) it keeps the riff-raff away. Conversely it also brings out the idiots who don’t know enough that they should stay on the ground and not fly in marginal VFR.

Special VFR not authorized. Which is fully understandable… this year I could see our landing zone, but had to leave because the field went IFR.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I remember flying VFR to Muskoka one morning.

The drama on the frequency was quite something. The Toronto Cirrus pilots were panicking in the low vis and clouds

I call up the FSS guy running the show remotely - he's in some place with Bay or Lake or Fort in the name - and I reported 10 miles east at 4500 inbound.

He suspiciously asks me how the wx is where I am, I reply, Great! as I spiral down a hole.

I know, I know. On any kind of normal planet, I would just ask him for a pop-up vectors to the ILS, like I used to do in Florida in the morning.

But they only have really stupid non-precision approaches into Muskoka, and the last time I asked Canadian ATC for a pop-up he asked me if I was declaring an emergency.