RV Cold Starts

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Slick Goodlin

Fly more often? Yes. The pump had lost its prime, which happens much more easily when the cavity is scored/worn out as I suspect this is but in any case sitting is what does it. Gas is ridiculous though and for the hourly cost I’d rather be in the Moth or cheap out in one of the Cubs. Really I should get the Champ tidied up and knock out some tailwheel checkouts with it. It’s pretty soft for a taildragger but makes a good gateway drug.

Aeroshell 100 mineral is all I use. I love the stuff and am saving up to just buy 55 gallons in one go. I’ll use it. I tried 120 a couple years back but some planes in the fleet didn’t like it as much and I don’t want to have to keep one more thing straight, you know? I bet the thick stuff would hold the prime in the pump better though…

Colonel

There’s a guy at my airport that does tailwheel training in his Champ. ‘Round and round it goes …

No FTU OC / AMO required here. Just 100 hour checks.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

There are ways to avoid FTU OCs for tailwheel training here too. I haven’t looked in depth into it but since there are no actual tailwheel qualifications in Canada you just don’t call it training. A friend used to dry lease a couple planes and a condition of that lease was you pay extra for a ‘mentor’ to come along until deemed competent.
Colonel

Not sure your insurance company is going to approve of that, but ....

It’s coming back to me now. Only licensed pilots and the aircraft owner has to be at “arm’s length” from the person doing the checkout.

What on earth that has to do with aviation safety, we will never know.

Reminds me of the time 4900 Yonge St told me that I needed a 70x OC and AMO for my kid to jump out of my airplane.

Pop Quiz: spot the TV series this is from:

I doubt anyone here is old enough to remember it, but here's a hint:

The huge super-star of the series in real life was married to America's sweetheart, who died later of anal cancer.

A little hairy for my taste, but she was wildly popular. I remember they had this HUGE pinup of her in my hockey dressing room.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:34 am
That, “Flew into a post at full throttle.” thing sounds like quite a story.
A fellow had borrowed it and while holding short waiting for a Lancair or some such to land I guess he got mixed up on which was the runway and which was the taxiway. He lined up on the taxiway, gave ‘er the beans, then noticed he would shortly be nose to nose with a taxiing plane.

There are many options at this point but the one chosen was to give all the right rudder which sent the poor Champ down into a ditch before launching up the other side, briefly through the air, then down onto a very stout guard rail post.
David MacRay

Owee.
Slick Goodlin

All’s well that ends well, he carried hull insurance and the pay out was enough to buy a replacement Champ while this one was under repair. Then when it was finished the spare got sold.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:20 pm

Pop Quiz: spot the TV series this is from:

That show would be The Fall Guy of course.

"Moltarr, Book Lee Majors!"
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...