High revs after start

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Big Pistons Forever

Had an engine that did something similar once. The problem was bad mag internal timing. When the mag was fixed the engine started normally.

Colonel

Guy down the hangar row from me, has a Baby Great Lakes with I think a Lycoming 360.

Hard to start hot. So far I think he's changed the fuel pump, fuel servo, fuel divider, both
magnetos and I don't know what else.

The problem is, no one diagnoses anything. They just change parts. That's probably a
$10,000+ repair bill above, with the mechanic just shotgunning as fast as he can.

The ability to diagnose is precious and rare, especially amongst doctors, engineers
and mechanics. Someone who can look at a complicated system and quickly figure
out what's going on, is worth a lot of money.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
JW Scud

Colonel wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:55 am
Guy down the hangar row from me, has a Baby Great Lakes with I think a Lycoming 360.

Hard to start hot. So far I think he's changed the fuel pump, fuel servo, fuel divider, both
magnetos and I don't know what else.

The problem is, no one diagnoses anything. They just change parts. That's probably a
$10,000+ repair bill above, with the mechanic just shotgunning as fast as he can.

The ability to diagnose is precious and rare, especially amongst doctors, engineers
and mechanics. Someone who can look at a complicated system and quickly figure
out what's going on, is worth a lot of money.
I used to fly a piston twin that had an occasional fuel flow issue in flight. It was bad enough to cause a power interruption.

The company that owned it changed everything they could think of. They even swapped engines. This was prior to me starting to fly it and I wasn’t aware of the issue.

When I mentioned that I had experienced a fuel interruption, one of their management pilots he said “You were in IMC right? Because that is when this happens.” But actually, I was in VMC. Never did hear what the final solution was but was.