Do you need to update your valve seats?

Topics related to keeping your plane Airworthy and Resources such as manuals and Pilot Operating Handbooks
David MacRay

Maybe.

Slick Goodlin

I’ll just run Marvel Mystery Oil and hope for the best
David MacRay

From the sounds of it I guess unleaded fuel was just sprung on continental by surprise over 40 short years.

I wonder how long it will be before they start using harder valve seats? Maybe it can be an option for a small up charge.
Slick Goodlin

I know plenty of people that have lots of time running small Continentals on straight mogas. I wonder what else is happening to mess with valve seats.

Leaded fuel also didn’t exist until 1927 and my Model T is one of fifteen million(!) that were built before that, and had no trouble running basically forever without lead and without hardened valve seats.
David MacRay

I am going to need to watch the video again.

I think he mentioned continental listing 2 or three engines that were ok to run on unleaded. I suspect the O-200 was one and they probably noted many people running them on mo-gas with an STC.

Is it possible people running mo-gas would just keep an eye on the valve seats and swap them out if needed? Seems like it would be the best way to go. Maybe not practical now that shop rates are a little higher.
David MacRay

I kind of knew I should’ve watched first typed after. Neither of the continental engines was an O-200.

They are purpose built AF designated “alternate fuels”.

Swift said they aren’t worried so neither am I.