Installing Auto Pilot on Aircraft

Topics related to keeping your plane Airworthy and Resources such as manuals and Pilot Operating Handbooks
Scudrunner
Site Admin

How much of a PIA would it be to install an AP in a Certified Aircraft with out one installed previously.
This would hypothetically be in a Cessna 337?

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
anofly

new or used autopilot?
I got a new gps and a ]new STEC 40 installed a few yrs back and it was estimated at 60 hours... they did a lovely job. it needed servos etc, i took the plane to them with one seat, and no interior...
I think now you should count on more than 60 hrs to install in a possible cessna 337. What brand of autopilot?
I am not sure whats approved for that plane. count on 120 an hour plus these days...
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Just spitballing at the moment, was browsing the for sale ads as I would like a cross country machine that is IFR. Not hard core IFR but enough to go over the top and drop in.

A couple of the planes didn't have an AP, not a big deal. However I wouldn't mind something to mind the helm while I write a clearance or serve drinks. :mrgreen:

I would say new and integrated with a couple of Garmin G5 sort of thing.
Nark

I paid $16k for a Garmin GNC 500 for the 180. It required 2 servos. I already had dual G5’s so that cut down on the cost.
The GNC requires a G5 or fancier Garmin EFIS type to drive the A/P.
E47C0D53-563C-406E-8654-278257A9E2E5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
CpnCrunch

Yeah, go for the GFC 500. I have an STEC-30 and am having various issues with the altitude hold. It has last century technology with brushes and clutches that tend to be problematic. Garmin should be much more reliable and I think is comparable installation price.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

That makes sense, Ive been reading many people posting looking for used serviceable parts of their old tech.

Edit: Just went and looked at what aircraft it was certified for and not available on any 300 or 400 series cessna twins
CpnCrunch

You want the GFC 600 for a twin, and it seems to support 340 and 414s:

https://saskatoonavionics.ca/product/ga ... autopilot/