Homebuilts and Wrenches and Liability

Topics related to keeping your plane Airworthy and Resources such as manuals and Pilot Operating Handbooks
Slick Goodlin

Just curious but if I’m turning wrenches on someone else’s homebuilt or UL, how far do you think I’m sticking my neck out in the event that things all go sideways?

John Swallow

Good question. If you're an AME and you signed off it and your work was found to be faulty, I suppose you'd be liable the same as if the aircraft was certified.

However, I own (and built) an RV-7A and do most of the maintenance myself. Notwithstanding, there are certain things that are beyond my skill level and for which I'd ask an AME to investigate. I would have no trouble signing off on the resulting corrective work myself if said AME was reluctant to do so...
Nark

What are the home built manufacturer rules in Canada...?
Here in the US you’re considered the manufacturer, and as such can perform all the maintenance. But, not on another aircraft of the same design. Ie just because you built one RV7, doesn’t mean you can wrench on any RV7. You would need an A&P (AME.. for you Canucks)
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
John Swallow

In Canada, as the owner of an amateur-built aircraft, you can do the maintenance, regardless of who built the ship.

Another difference between the two countries is that in Canada, the build is inspected by a designated Transport Canada representative at regular intervals; usually at the completion of each major group: tail, wings, fuselage, firewall forward/final inspection. No piece can be completely enclosed until it get approved by the representative. For this reason, we don't have to keep a detailed written log/photo log of our work.

Most pilots around here do their own annual inspections, although I do know of one who enlists the services to an AME to assist him.