Finishing Someone Else’s Project

Homebuilt Airplanes Topics
Slick Goodlin

I plan on contacting the MD-RA folks over this but I’m curious if any of you have been through it. I have a mostly complete homebuilt airplane that hasn’t yet been registered but has had its various pre-cover inspections so far. The trouble is, the fellow who started it has passed away and I can’t find any inspection paperwork. To complicate it further, the inspector that’s signed everything off so far has at least retired and possibly passed away too.

She’s a little too heavy to just slam a C-I registration on so what do you figure the odds are that someone, somewhere has the paperwork on file, or will I be stuck re-covering this thing?

John Swallow

MD/RA should have a record. Further, any piece that was inspected prior to closure will have a sticker attached to it certifying that it was looked at and approved.

Good luck...

John
RBK

Further to what John said, MDRA should have a record.

However, my RV is a little older than John's ( I finished building i 2002) and at that time they weren't putting stickers on saying that it was inspected. Depending on how old your kit is, there may not be stickers.

I had three different inspectors for mine, and I did run into a little issue where one of the inspectors didn't send in the paperwork and then retired. Fortunately, the second inspector knew the first so we were able to resolve things.

Rob
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I see a few projects pop up on the various sites and often wonder if it would be worth trying to figure out someone else's mistakes. Alternatively starting from new and knowing where I screwed up.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:00 am
I see a few projects pop up on the various sites and often wonder if it would be worth trying to figure out someone else's mistakes. Alternatively starting from new and knowing where I screwed up.
Luckily I was around this one from the start. I even assembled the upper wings over Christmas holidays one year in high school. The work is nice, much nicer than I probably would have done.