CAB GY-20 Minicab first plane?

Homebuilt Airplanes Topics
TwinOtterFan

So my wife and I have been chatting lately about maybe getting a plane to time build for my CPL instead of just renting the one at the FTU all the time. The end result being you walk away with a plane and a license instead of just a license.

So on that note, any thoughts on a CAB GY-20 Minicab?

I don't know anything about them, but came across one today thats been sitting in a shop for years. Now I know the Colenel already said your first plane should never be a project but I'm still curious enough to ask at least.

Slick Goodlin

That’s a big question, IIRC the Minicab is a homebuilt so how well was it built in someone’s home? What engine does it have? Has it ever flown and if so why did it stop flying?
TwinOtterFan

85 Continental with 100HP kit, flown for years but don't know the hours, went into storage when the owner lost his medical.
TwinOtterFan

I guess I was more questioning the aircraft in general first before getting into the fine details of this specific one.
Liquid_Charlie

Would it be a time builder or would you expect to get an instructor in the aircraft with you. It could be a lot of fun but I suspect you would still be renting to get your license. Finding an instructor to sit with you in a conventional geared aircraft that you trust will be difficult.

On the other hand owning such a delightful aircraft will eventually give you and your wife lots of pleasure.

You would need to pay an engineer for a full and detailed inspection before you take yourself and family up in an old home built like that.

keep us in the loop.

cheers
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
TwinOtterFan

I'm looking for something to time build on now and just enjoy later. Im already enrolled in school and because I'm a veteran the government will be assisting in my CPL and instructor funding. Because of this I am tied to the school through certain legalities, but I can time build the solo portion how I want.

After school my wife and I want to move to thunder bay Ontario, she's still serving but we found a posting for her up their.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Had to google that, not familiar with it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAB_Minicab

I guess the biggest question is what do you intend to do with it. If only time building get the cheapest plane you can afford to maintain and operate.

Ive advocated on here in the past to find a 152 or Cherokee and fly the heck out of it and sell it.
Nothing wrong with kit planes, just gotta know someone whos built one to help you look or have an AME familiar with them to know what to look for.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
TwinOtterFan

The goal up front is time building but if I find something that I can keep and enjoy even after I move then it makes sense to just get that I think?

I started out looking at cessna's but as stated in that other thread they have pretty much doubled in price if not more lately. None of this is a deal breaker by any means. But I do like the idea of taking all the money I would be giving to the FTU for time building and putting it towards a plane.
Big Pistons Forever

Like others have said with any home built, It all depends on how well it was built and how well it was kept up.

The huge issue for me is the all wood construction. This airplane would have had to have been kept inside its whole life to be worth even a cursory look. Then the question is where are you going to keep it ?

The good news is I know a fellow who has flown one and was quite complementary although it is a bit demanding landing on pavement.

I believe that you don’t own wooden boats and airplanes, they own you

Personally I think the only way to buy something like this is at a price that represents the airplanes hard assets, which in this case is the engine and prop, so about 9K
TwinOtterFan

Haha I used to restore old wooden Chris-Craft's your not wrong there.

I ended up chatting with him, just out of curiosity nice old fella, he said it was always hangered and has been in storage ever since he lost his medical. I honestly didn't learn much more about the plane beyond that. He started telling stories about flying it, you could tell he loved flying it so I just listened to his stories for a while until I had to go.

He does seem to on par with your estimate though his asking was decently under 9.

I realize its not an ideal fit for my current situation, the only way it would make sense for me as if I sent someone to go inspect it and then found a builder to bring it up to snuff and make her flight ready. Either way no regrets, I enjoyed his old flying stories as much as he enjoyed telling them.