Bearhawk

Homebuilt Airplanes Topics
David MacRay

I thought I made a Bearhawk thread. I’m not sure how it works when you build one of the LSA units. They all have nice big useful loads.

https://bearhawkcanada.ca/

Liquid_Charlie

Watched the clip on the patrol -- looks like a little rear ballast is in order when you are solo. Nice looking little aircraft but if I were to buy I am not a kit or build it yourself type guy.

My dream trip in that type of aircraft would be a set of big wheels, camping gear and wander around Canada/US doing mostly off strip and very small airports. Camping under the wing in the good wx. :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I have always "wanted to" build a kit plane but I really think it would be easier to buy a completed one and if required modify it (or not) to suit your needs.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

Here’s. Really cool website I stumbled upon: (other than this one of course...)
https://airfield.guide/filter_airports.asp?

An inter-active map that shows fly-in camping options.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TwinOtterFan

I have always liked these planes, would love to win one one day. I think it would be a great family camping plane.

Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:12 pm
I have always "wanted to" build a kit plane but I really think it would be easier to buy a completed one and if required modify it (or not) to suit your needs.
I’ve heard it said that if you want to build: build and if you want to fly: buy. An awful lot of kit planes are worth far less than the sum of their parts when they’re done and you also save the 5-10 years that everyone seems to take to build it. Even the smart homebuilders often buy a plane when their project is on its home stretch so they can brush up on the flying skills in time for the big completion.
TwinOtterFan

In a perfect world I think having a project in the shop for when you are grounded due to weather would be great, no timline and not building on great flying days.
Big Pistons Forever

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:31 pm

I’ve heard it said that if you want to build: build and if you want to
My observation is that there are “builders” and there are “flyers”, but there are not so many “builders+flyers”. My observation is that the builders like the building part and after they finish the airplane hardly fly their airplane but, continue fussing over it in the hangar in lieu of flying.

I know one guy who is on his fifth build.

So unless you really like the building part, I would suggest you just go out and buy a flying airplane. Personally like I said before I would never get in a home built airplane unless I personally knew the builder or got the thumbs up from a very small group of friends I trust.
John Swallow

Took me nine years to build: finished 5.5 years ago and have over six hundred hours on the engine.

Building allows you to become quite comfortable with maintaining it post completion.