Thatcher CX5

Homebuilt Airplanes Topics
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Trey Kule link=topic=7715.msg21481#msg21481 date=1514953106]
I admire you the skill and ambition to undertake it.
[/quote]
You could build one too, it's just a matter of learning a couple simple skills then doing it.  just like learning to fly an airplane.

Trey Kule

I am old, not stupid.  Like I would ever fly something I built  ;D
Chuck Ellsworth

I get far more satisfaction from working on aircraft than flying them.

Even if I never fly it building it will be really fun and will keep me active.
Trey Kule

Good point.  When are you starting? 
Chuck Ellsworth

I am going to talk to the guy who makes parts for both airplanes next week and then make up my mind which one I will build.

At the moment I just can't decide which one it will be.

The CX4 is cheaper to build but I sort of want a two place.

It is sort of like which hand I want to use to pleasure myself.  :)
DonutHole

Ive looked into the thatcher, it's a beautiful design, beautiful lines.  It looks like an airplane toy a pilot would design for himself. 

In this segment it is king, the cheap to build and operate segment, but if I wasn't budget constrained I would go RV, possibly a 3B or an 8.  I believe vans still makes the 4 as a kit, but not a quickbuild which is unfortunate.  the nice thing about vans is the number of completed flying units out there, and, if you are time constrained the quick build kits will have you flying fast, fast.

Full disclosure, I got about halfway to my commercial ppl in a citabria before I pulled the trigger on maintenance.  I like to think that gives me a little bit of insight into both aspects of a design, but really, I can't really tell you what a joy either of these craft are to fly, I can tell you that the rv4 is the plane that really got me into aviation after seeing a max performance takeoff in a tight valley,  I was pretty much sold.
Chuck Ellsworth

How's the Sasquatch hunting going DonutHole?

I did the initial flight test for a friend of mine in his RV8 some years ago and it was an awesome machine.

However it cost him $98,000.00 to build and that is beyond my comfort level to afford.

The CX4 is the obvious choice for me to build because of the number out there that are flying and the availability of pre. made parts if I want to buy them.

If I decide to sell it when I get to fucking old to fly it it should not be to difficult to sell to at least get some of my money back.

Also the Volkswagen engines are affordable and reliable where as lycomings and Continentals are not.
DonutHole

Im not sure if Im hunting the sasquatch, or if the sasquatch is hunting me... so :)

Yeah, the 8 would be a big bite.  I have a fantasy that involves an io360, a 3b and a MT that I can't get out of my head.

cant go wrong with the thatcher though,

I looked at purchasing a really nice pazmany one time, that was a solid aircraft, reminds me of a marchetti.
Trey Kule

Which one did you decide on Chuck?
Chuck Ellsworth

I ordered the plans for the CX5 last week and am getting my 20X30 foot garage ready to become an airplane hangar.

The way I see it it will be something to do that will be interesting enough that if my hand slips off my dick and I hit myself in the forehead and damage my brain and can't finish it I won't know what happened anyhow. ( I think that is what happened to the Colonel )

So I now have a new full time job.....that will cost me rather than make me money so I must be brain damaged already.  ;D ;D ;D