Thatcher CX5

Homebuilt Airplanes Topics
Chuck Ellsworth

I am thinking of building a Thatcher CX5, anyone here have any thoughts on that as a choice for a project to keep me occupied?

Slick Goodlin

My only thoughts revolve around it looking like a lovely little airplane.  I've always wanted to see one up close (or a single place CX4) and in the flesh but they never seem to come to Oshkosh when I'm there.
[img width=500 height=278]http://cdn.kitplanes.com/media/newspics ... CX5-17.jpg[/img]

Chuck Ellsworth

Thanks for the comments.

I have spent a long time trying to decide what to build and the CX5 is the most interesting and affordable machine I can find.

Of all the airplanes I have flown I would chose the Grumman Turbo Goose, but it is just way to expensive as a toy.

My second choice is a Stearman but once again it is just to expensive as a toy.
Trey Kule

It must be the weather, or something related to growing prostrates, but I bought a copy of kitplanes with the 2018 directory about two weeks ago.
The Tarragon and Shark UL caught my eye. Not sure how I missed the Thatcher.

It seems like agreat little plane, though maybe not so much with a VW engine..

You are ambitious,  good luck.
Rosco P Coltrane

Looks great in the picture. Undecided about the Volkswagen engine.
Slick Goodlin

I'm a little uncertain on a VW in a two-seater too though they seem to work okay on the Sonex line of homebuilts and IIRC there were even certified Aero VWs made in Europe one upon a time, I think they went into Robins.  Still, I don't imagine it will be too long before we see a builder or two finishing their CX5 with a Jabiru or a Corvair, both of which are also popping up on Sonex completions.
Tailwind W10

Chuck, that just looks like too damn much fun!  :D

As for the VW engine, they're calling for the Revmaster 85HP 2.3 liter.  There's plenty of vintage 2 seaters with less horsepower than that.  As for thinking of it as an auto conversion engine, well I think of the VW and Corvairs more as aero engines converted to auto use.  The Revmaster uses dual CDI iginition to 8 plugs, and a nifty little floatless carb.  Much more like an aero engine than auto to be sure.

I always thought the taildragger single seat is screaming for a DH Chipmunk paint scheme.  ;^)  Do they offer the CX-5 as a taildragger?

Gerry
John Swallow

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/33_4/fl ... 502-1.html

Chuck:  you may have seen the article at the link.  Regardless, the others might be interested.

It DOES look like a nicely turned out aircraft.
Chuck Ellsworth

I have been torn between the CX4 and the CX5 for several years.

The CX4 is far more sexy looking than the CX5 and obviously cheaper to build.

However the two place machine is more useful and should be easier to sell when I no longer can fly it.

So what do you guys think, should I build a CX4 instead?

If I do build the CX5 it will have the Revmaster for reliability.
Trey Kule

Just do it.  Either would be great.  I admire you the skill and ambition to undertake it.

Personnaly, I like the 5. Simply a personal thing.