Chuck and IFFP's Cub Build.

Homebuilt Airplanes Topics
David MacRay

Excellent. [/C. montgomery]

Chuck Ellsworth

It was my prize project, however several years into it my wife died from cancer and it was also her prize project.

It sat in my hangar / garage for several years and each time I tried to work on it it was just to painful remembering my wife.

I found Ifly on Avcanada, met him and my instinct told me this is the guy to finish it.

We are now in an equal partnership it but the truth is I will probably seldom fly it.

He is young, I am old and I want him to use it for giving grass roots flying training to those who want to learn stick and rudder.

It will be sort of a PA 11 with two doors and a lot of other nice upgrades.

By the way this little gem was not cheap to build.....far from it.

Slick Goodlin

What's the rear throttle arrangement like in your two door PA-11?  I sat in the back seat of a [s]Cub Crafters[/s] [i]Legend[/i] two door Cub (which I believe is more of a Super Cub with an exposed engine than a J-3) and their rear throttle felt like it would be no fun at all to have to use.  Maybe it was just because I'm freakishly tall...
Slick Goodlin

Right, it was a Legend Cub I tried on at OSH.  The salesman didn't know a single thing about the airplane he desperately wanted me to buy.  Anyways, my post above has been corrected.

I didn't realize the PA-11 had the revised cabin structure, that must open up a lot of head room in the front seat and moving fuel to the wings looks like it gives leg room.  How tall of a pilot do you figure could ride up front?
Colonel

[quote] didn't realize the PA-11 had the revised cabin structure ...
How tall of a pilot do you figure could ride up front?[/quote]

I was in the front seat of a PA-11 a couple
days ago, and there was lots of room.  I
am 186cm and 210 lbs.

Tall is a slippery term.  There is leg length
(inseam - 2nd number when you buy your
jeans) and there is trunk length.

You can have two pilots the same height
and one fits into an airplane and the other
doesn't, because of this.