PPL to CPL

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
dirtdr

So I have had my PPL for about 3 or 4 years now. I got my PPL to use for recreational reasons - smashing bugs in a 172 and now darting across the country in my 310.
In that time I have earned my night, multi, and group 1 instrument ratings. My logbook shows about 650hrs total time

I am kicking around the idea of getting my CPL requirements done and if my medical checkup allows (which is due in a year or so), get my commercial rating. I don't really have any reason to now, but it would be another goal to set and achieve.

I think I have all the boxes checked as far as requirements (300 mile x-country etc), but as for the 65? Hours of commercial training - would my time spent in training for night, multi, IFR, and a couple insurance check outs count??

dirtdr

I'm showing 58hrs of dual received since my PPL flight test
ScudRunner-d95

Well its always good to keep learning and if you get your CPL your insurance company might cut your rate. It might be worth a chat with the broker to see how much of a discount you will receive.

One other factor might be the cost of your medical to maintain such a rating, mine our covered by my company so don't know the cost but depending on age you could be looking at 200 bucks more a year just to maintain your CPL status.