Performance Take Off's

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
Squaretail

David MacRay wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:50 pm
TwinOtterFan wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:41 pm

My FTU had a student tailstrike yesterday while practicing soft field takeoffs.
I’m trying to imagine how that even happens.
There's a lot of people who forget that training airplanes are designed so a 98lb weakling can fly them. Or have relatives who are gorillas. Sometimes both. The same people pull the mixture, throttle and carb heat knobs out of the panel, break off all the radio knobs, pull the door handle into the cabin with them, and yank the dash off its mountings. They also bend oil dipsticks, break seat jacks (because they're not heavy duty enough to lift said gorillas), and if they're really special, manage to break the compass off its mounting, or the control yoke itself.

I suspect if any of these people own toolboxes, its just filled with an assortment of hammers of increasing size.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
David MacRay

Hey I felt bad about that seat handle I broke off. I think I was set up by some other people bending it back and forth before I got there.
Colonel

Ask your instructor to demo that for you
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
David MacRay

Don’t do that on a flight test, you’ll get asked to return to base for a debrief for sure.
Colonel

Oh, I duuno. A couple of JATO’s on a buck fifty might help clear that obstacle, and the reaction from the DPE when you flipped the switches before rotation would be priceless.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
David MacRay

So how did it go?

Did you try my technique and get your instructor to say, “Wow, that’s the second best short field take off I have ever seen.”
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:38 pm
Oh, I duuno. A couple of JATO’s on a buck fifty might help clear that obstacle
TwinOtterFan

David MacRay wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:56 am
So how did it go?

Did you try my technique and get your instructor to say, “Wow, that’s the second best short field take off I have ever seen.”
Lol, I did not..... I did find what I was looking for in the POH, and did perform both take off's well, I feel comfortable with them now, I am still having trouble hitting my spot on the short field landing, and I tend to forget to add a touch of power before touching down in the soft field to keep my nose higher. was going to go back to the airport this afternoon for more practice but it is already 16 gusting 21 and increasing with the ceiling dropping.
David MacRay

Fine, do it the right way if that’s what you’re into. Good to see they are progressing.

You know what they say about how to get to Carnegie Hall. Practice.

Quite the picture Slick. Maybe squaretail is right and a guy can have fun in a Ercoupe.