Foreflight airspace

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
TwinOtterFan

Hey all,

I was just looking at airspace around me and cannot figure out why Foreflight shows different altitudes for the airspace than what is on the VTA? The class C above ZVL is up to 12500 on the VTA but Foreflight is indicating up to 6999? what am I missing?

Foreflight.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Dread Pilot Roberts

I checked mine out and I cannot get it to replicate what yours is showing exactly. But the ones I did get I played with the display settings.

Click the airspace donut below the airport toggle on the left off and on, then look map bottom right for showing all airspace in blue. Maybe you got something clicked off.

I have the jepp subscription so that might also make it different from yours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TwinOtterFan

Thank you for checking, actually what yours is showing is what I was confused about.in your last picture where is the 7000’ airspace coming from? Isn’t it just saying on the VTA that it goes from 4600 to 12500?
Slick Goodlin

Sometimes I wonder if Foreflight just has some limitations in the geometric shapes it uses for airspace and sometimes those shapes need to be stacked.

One thing I’ve done to better understand what’s going on is to create a flight that crosses the boundaries that I don’t understand and then pull up the profile view of the airspace along that track.
TwinOtterFan

lol, ya I have been doing that as well just go from the airport and draw a line out of the airspace just to see it. I think I see what is going on now. SW of ZVL the rings are spread out and start at different heights but all go to 12500 on the VTA. Foreflight indicates them as stopping at the floor of the next airspace. It looks a little more confusing when it stacks them next to ZVL.
278969162_1027533797880395_4768406264709992801_n.jpg
279061507_410790037557287_2705776580860300884_n.jpg
digits

I have a suspicion that foreflight systematically implements the airspace as described in the canadian airspace handbook (circle with center x y, radius z miles etc). The guy who makes the vnc / vta probably combines a lot of that to make it slightly easier to understand.
David MacRay

If the PSTAR is based on truth, according to Transport Canader, the PIC is responsible for everything that happens.

Plus I would wager foreflight included the trusty old, “Bogus info? Hey, it’s not our fault.” At least once in the TOS we all click on after not reading.

If Leduc international is anything like Calgary (just kidding, they are the same people currently) they are way too busy to figure out what planes cut the corner.

They don’t even want students doing my favourite thing. “Medium to long information read backs.” On the other hand. As long as you have a radio on board, if you’re under the Class C, I bet it’s fun to just call up terminal and tell them you’re in the area and going by.

Of course then you will get a transponder code and they will definitely know who to write up in the CADORS if you break an altitude restriction while thinking about pizza.

All staff at the school will probably panic, even if you merely joke about any of that happening.