Diversions

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
TwinOtterFan

Hello all,

A little update I did a couple days of chair flying, I laminated a VNC map of my area, strapped on a knee board, grabbed a dry erase marker and just picked town after town calculating diversions. It definitely paid off, my instructor was very happy and I will be off to solo the PA this week now. As always I want to thank everyone for the input and suggestions.

As far as gadgets go, my wife bought me an ipad mini and that Dual GPS receiver from that link, not the model shown on the website, must be an older gen one, she got it on Amazon, wasn't to much and works great, comes with a little rubber pad for the top of the dash, or you can just strap it on your wrist and away you go. I don't ever get to use it as I am still training but its in my bag, I plan to use map and compass as much as possible even after my license but I do like having it with me just in case.

Chuck Ellsworth

I am a firm believer in using old technology, especially for transportation and I am getting rid of my car and buying a horse and buggy that is not only carbon friendly but very reliable and cheap to operate.
TwinOtterFan

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 am
I am a firm believer in using old technology, especially for transportation and I am getting rid of my car and buying a horse and buggy that is not only carbon friendly but very reliable and cheap to operate.
Honestly I love both, I am a huge geek love, designing, manufacturing, programming, working on circuit boards but also really enjoyed old school robust old school tech. My wife has a 2017 jeep and I have a 1977 jeep that was converted back to points. Guess which one has more problems? Sure hers you can talk to someone while driving, and ya you don't feel like you have to hold onto something but other that I think its overrated.
Liquid_Charlie

I have a 1977 jeep
I had a 1977 CJ-5 and drove it for years -- skido pants in the winter lol but I added a 350 chevy 4 bolt main, ford top loader 4 speed, suspension and big wheels -- damn it was fun - pulling up beside someone and idling with the aggressive cam it was and sounded so heavy -- those were the days -- :mrgreen:

Good to hear you sorted the diversion thingy -
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Slick Goodlin

Since I started it I may as well keep going:
upnatem

I learned - "circle-circle-line, heading-distance-time, make a call and you'll be fine." The call would be to flight services or whatever flight service you may be using to provide them the new destination and enroute time.

Now this was in line with a real life situation requiring a diversion, most probably due to inclement weather. As a previous poster mentioned, setting up a square orbit giving you time to calculate and look at maps when you aren't turning was important. Once setting out towards your new destination you need to be totally focused on actually getting there and the weather is crap, remember? Also, since most real life weather diversions are made after flying into pretty dodgy weather, besides having a stable situation (the straight-and-level sides of the square orbit) you are also surveying the current location for a possible precautionary landing until the weather improves.

To me the "turn on new estimated course without undue delay" provision is more intended so the examiner doesn't get bored going around in circles . I fail to see how rushing to get on course to a hastily planned destination would add to safety or help in actually getting to the new airport.