Air Traffic Control light signals.

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
David MacRay

I was having trouble memorizing the light signals, so I decided to write myself a little story. I hope it helps someone trying to learn them.
Let’s pretend you’re at a controlled airport and your radio dies. Everything else is good and it’s not tripping the breaker. I have heard in some cases you can get permission to leave nordo to go back to home base until you decide what fancy new radio you might want to buy as a replacement for the one that just up and quit after sixty years.

The tower is in theory going to use a light gun to signal you directions.

You will probably phone them and explain you’re ready to get going soon just before start up. Then you’re going to get in the plane and do your start up and wait until the tower signals you are cleared to taxi. They will do it with a green light using a flashing pattern.

Flashing green light on the ground means you are cleared to taxi

As you taxi the FBO phoned the tower because you left something behind. The controller would then use a white light and a flashing pattern. This signals you to return to your starting point. Where someone might meet you with your property. Gratuities are most likely appreciated along with your five star Yelp review.

Flashing white light on the ground means return to your starting point.

After you get your item back, secure it, and the FBO phones the tower, they will likely give you the signal that indicates you are cleared to taxi again.

Then as you taxi toward an intersection of an inactive runway you need to cross they will likely give you that signal again to clear you to continue.

If for some reason they want you to stop they will use a red light. Obvious examples to me would be.
  • They don’t want you to cross that runway yet.
  • There’s ground traffic or something that might cause a conflict ahead.
  • The controller is making sure you know what the signals mean.
Solid red light on the ground means stop.

If you somehow taxied onto a runway and you’re not allowed on it yet they’re going to use the red light but it’s going to be a flashing pattern.

Flashing red light on the ground means get off the runway.

Ok, so let’s say you’re all sorted out. You left, went back, left again, had to stop, were allowed to go again, had to get off the runway, were allowed to go yet again, you do a run up and you’re all set.

Now you’re ready, holding short of the runway. When they are ready for you to take off they will clear you with the grand finale of ground signals, a solid green light.

Solid green light on the ground means you are cleared for takeoff!

Now you’re flying and the controller attempts to open your flight plan but there’s a problem with it. They need you to come back for clarification. They will use the green light and a flashing pattern.

Flashing green light when you are in the air means you are required to return and wait for permission to land.

You get back and join the circuit but they are not ready to clear you for a landing. They are going to signal you with the red light and a solid pattern.

Solid red light when you are in the air means do not land yet continue circling.

Even though you are still responsible for avoiding wingtip vortices they will be looking out for you. After they are confident those vortices are all gone they will clear you to land.

Solid green light when you are in the air means you are cleared for landing!

You land, they give you a flashing green light, you taxi to the FBO. You shut down go inside, the nice folks tell you you need to sort out a problem with your flight plan. After contacting air traffic services. You buy some fuel to replace the stuff you burned trying to leave the first time and you’re ready to try again.

This time you get the flashing green light, taxi to the inactive run way get a solid red light, you stop and wait. They give you the flashing green light, you cross the runway to get to the run up area, do a run up. Pull up to the hold line. They signal you with a solid green light. You take off and depart the zone.

After all that, you’re almost home but, it’s just not your day. As you get close to your destination airport. They signal you with a flashing red light.

Flashing red light when you are in the air means airport is unsafe do not land.

Time to go to your alternate.

Liquid_Charlie

Now there is a trip down memory lane. I use to go nordo into the toronto island all the time from brampton. I'm guessing they would release you on lights as long as the surrounding airspace didn't require 2 way communication. :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

After writing this out, I’m closer to knowing them. I sometimes still make a mistake answering the flashing red on the ground question.

Here’s a link to a site for the US equivalent. Plus airport signs.
http://www.studentflyingclub.com/airpor ... rkings.php