Great Flight Schools and Quiet Airports

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
ScudRunner-d95

In another thread I stated that those looking for a flying school you should seek a quiet airport and a not so busy school. The reasoning behind this is very simple, transiting to far flung practice areas or instructors pushing to get back for the next students lesson will burn your hard earned cash quickly.

If you can fire up and be airborne with minimal time and quickly begin the days lesson you won't waste valuable time that could be spent ironing out your weak areas thus lowering your cost of training.

I have been out of the training side for some time but if you know of such schools and airports list them here.

I have a hangar up at the Beiseker Alberta airport (CFV2) its pretty rare to see anyone around other than the meat bomb drop school. The extra time driving there depending on your location in Calgary more than makes up for it. I would also ad that High River is a great airport just south of Calgary.
AVOID SPRINGBANK!!!

Colonel

The bitch about learning to fly is that you need
to have both spare time AND spare money.

Most people are doing well to have one!

flying ... just isn't that important to you
Flying requires enormous resources and effort,
for many people far out of proportion for what
they get.  Or what else they could do for fun
for a fraction of the money and time, like boating
or hookers and blow.

In my life, I have learned that most people like
to talk.  Few are up for the moment.
fluff

Colonel wrote:
Flying requires enormous resources and effort,
for many people far out of proportion for what
they get.

How did that old joke go? Something like:

Q: How much money do I need to take up flying as a hobby?
A: All of it.
Tailwind W10

Q: How do you make a small fortune in Aviation?

A: Start with a large fortune!
CpnCrunch

ScudRunner wrote: In another thread I stated that those looking for a flying school you should seek a quiet airport and a not so busy school. The reasoning behind this is very simple, transiting to far flung practice areas or instructors pushing to get back for the next students lesson will burn your hard earned cash quickly.

If you can fire up and be airborne with minimal time and quickly begin the days lesson you won't waste valuable time that could be spent ironing out your weak areas thus lowering your cost of training.

I have been out of the training side for some time but if you know of such schools and airports list them here.

I have a hangar up at the Beiseker Alberta airport (CFV2) its pretty rare to see anyone around other than the meat bomb drop school. The extra time driving there depending on your location in Calgary more than makes up for it. I would also ad that High River is a great airport just south of Calgary.
AVOID SPRINGBANK!!!

All those little airports in Alberta are pretty quiet, even on the weekends. You pretty much have the airport (and the airspace) entirely to yourself. I owned a 172 based in Drumheller for a few years. I only ever did one touch+go at Beiseker...as I recall the runway was in pretty poor condition, and I had to double-check to make sure the bit of worn-out tarmac with no markings I was landing on was actually a runway and not some road.
ScudRunner-d95

Its improved quiet a bit, the mayor is an aviation buff and likes and promotes his airport as best he can on a limited budget.  That being said winter maintenance can be a bit of crap shoot, if a major storm just blew through don't count on the runways and taxiways being cleared right away.

When they redid the taxiways, some idiot ripped up the runway light wire so its pretty much a day VFR only. Although I have heard of some using a Meatball one arrival and approach but weather is usually pretty good in the summer and long days should suit any PPL student.