Flight Planning

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
Colonel

I'd be interested to hear what other people
are using for flight planning these days.  I
like this website:

http://skyvector.com/

Click on "flight plan" and enter your airport
id's and off you go. 

Enter your groundspeed, and there is realtime
wx for the airports, coded red, blue and green.

Hover your mouse pointer over the airport dot
for METAR details.

I'm not really an apple kind of guy.  Never
really a fan of Steve Jobs.  Even the woz
thought he was kind of a dick.  I suspect
you MaxIPad guys will have better software,
I think it's called ForeSkin?    :))

Arctic Navigator

www.fltplan.com is awesome for pretty much everything from a C150 to a CL605 for both IFR and VFR flight planning.  You can tweak the aircraft performance if its out a bit from the bird you're flying, but I've found it to be really quite accurate out of the box.  Best part of all is the price. 

If you want extras such as eApis or SMS sure you have to write a cheque, but its still pretty small compared to some of the alternatives out there.
Slick Goodlin

IFR - I just use the Navcanada AWWS site with some gcmap.com thrown in for tracks and distances.  I found fltpln.com wasn't 'clean' enough for my liking but I haven't looked at Skyvector yet.

VFR - Last time I think I used a VNC and a pencil and figured the edge of the journey log made a good enough guide for a straight-ish line.  Distance came off the side of the pencil against minutes of latitude, time was about a minute twenty for each of those miles, and heading was eyeballed off things on the ground (the compass rattled around to the point of complete uselessness anyways).  Good enough for me.