Used Avionics

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Hey all I've been looking at upgrading the panel on the mixmaster and found some reasonably priced used Aspen avionics PFD.
As long as they have paper work would there be any issues buying and having my AME install it ?

I ask because I recall someone saying I would still have to send to be recertified by Aspen ! and that cost would negate any savings from new???

Also looking putting Two JPI 830 to replace the entire right "copilot" side for a cleaner install.

Basically have a simple but effective panel I can do some light IFR with confidence etc.

Need to keep the ATT and the DG for the Auto Pilot as options on the 337 are limited, although I have found some used S-Tec 55X for sale at a reasonable price wich would be better for parts etc than the Cessna Navomatic 300 it currently has.

IMG_0753.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
digits

Have you looked into these https://iflyei.com/product/cgr-30p-prem ... e-monitor/

Support is really great. And they'll use your existing dash holes. Not that that is really an important consideration if you're upgrading and already spending a fortune. But they work really well. They have a 3 screen version as well. I'd pick that one if you can.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I did take a look at them but they are not stc for the Cessna 337.

https://iflyei.com/wp-content/uploads/C ... TC_AML.pdf

One of the odd things I have found is many things are not available / approves on the 337. If it works on a 206 you would think it should work on the 337 but they don’t take the time to certify it as it’s a twin but not really and smaller number of aircraft to upgrade.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

The Garmin 275 are approved so that is an option.
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/sa02658se_aml05.pdf

Scudrunner
Site Admin

or the "budget" option as I just found out the JPI 830 are only secondary intruments meaning I would have to keep the old stuff which I do not want to do.

The Garmins are primary and would serve that purpose.

Nark

To answer your question, I have no idea what the CAR’s would say about used avionics.

Under the FAR’s , that’s a bunch of horseshit.
You don’t need to have certified used avionics. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a while.

As for experience with Garmin, Aspen and JPI:
I have it all. Some key points:

Garmin is great stuff, but you’re paying for the name. You’ll get the same performance out of others, but the integration from one instrument to the next might be harder… for example, Garmin autopilots need Garmin drivers, such as: g5, G3’s etc… which then sky rockets the cost.
Cost is the biggest issue, followed by lack of software support. The 275’s are exactly what you get. You can’t flash them and reuse an engine monitor for an attitude later in life. You’re stuck.

Aspen: I had the EFD for the 182 and flew the B99 with them. They’re good products.
The best part about them, you can upgrade the software to match the capabilities of the higher models later in life. Or it they introduce something a year after you purchase the unit.
One of the cons: the unit does get warm. Poor ventilation internally.

JPI’s: I have the 830 in the 180. Love it. But as you said, it’s a secondary only. I’d pony up the extra $$ for the 930 or whatever model you’d need for the 337.
I was showing Colonel the engine data monitoring trends from my engine. That factor is awesome and amazing, for the health indicator of that engine(s).

I budget the cost of the unit(s) then double it for the install and consumables.
I’m swapping the Garmin 430 for a 650 next month: $18k
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Appreciate that advice, having the engine monitor is my top priority the rest can wait. Tossing out 50 pounds of old crap in the process is a bonus.

The old gyros are somewhat concerning but I’m mostly vfr but would like the peace of mind.
Big Pistons Forever

User interface on the Aspen isn’t as nice as the Garmin. More button pushes needed to do anything but still a decent unit if you can get one for a good price. AFAIK as long as the your airplane is on the AML you just install it, I don’t think it needs an Aspen sign off. However you will need to have a second AI as single Aspen is not certified as a primary instrument.

If it was still under warranty you may need to pay to have it registered.

STEC auto pilots are another matter however. They are serial number specific for the install. STEC will sell you the paperwork to install a used auto pilot out of another airplane but I believe it cost 10K US :shock:
Colonel

People spend crazy $$$ on avionics upgrades.

A guy with an M7-235 that I gave some dual to, is doing a us$106k IFR panel upgrade. Replacing the old G430W.

I know I’m old but I thought that’s what the entire airplane might cost?

Guy in the office next to me did a minor (not complete) panel job, $50k on his Grumman Tiger. Ditto.

Often these lengthy panel upgrades take so long, they trash the engine. Happened to a Mooney at my
old home airport that got a complete panel replacement in salty, humid Florida that private pilots love
love love so much. Had 50 SMOH and it was trashed from internal corrosion of the cam and cylinders.
They discovered this after deciding not to lower the gear before landing.

Guy with the Grumman, his engine ran on three cylinders after he got it back from the many months-long
minor panel upgrade. I tried to explain him that his A&P needed to stake the sticking exhaust valve (easy
fast and cheap) but as usual for private pilots, they are uninterested in reality. Given that this is what his
engine looked like inside. Filthy. Nobody gives a shit about operating their aircraft so as to avoid deposits.

If you're going to send your aircraft in for heavy maintenance that will take many months/years, please
change the oil to W100 straight grade and 10% Camguard and at least ground run it, before it starts to
get damaged by inactivity during maintenance.

Another guy I know, his Baron sat on the ground for months getting engine cables changed on one side.
He actually took my advice and his engines actually ran on all cylinders after the abuse of inactivity
caused by maintenance.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Colonel

Nobody gives a flying fuck about their engine, but

I tell people:
1) minimum RPM after start (for say one minute) and immediately lean the mixture for max RPM on the ground
2) on the ground, idle at 1100-1200 RPM with the mixture leaned for max RPM before takeoff to avoid deposits
3) I lean the mixture for max RPM in the landing rollout on the runway for taxi back to the hangar.
4) mixture rich in the climb at low altitudes for engine cooling. CHT below 400F, lower the nose as required
5) mixture lean immediately after levelling off for cruise, before speed builds and cold air cools the red-hot engine (from the climb)
6) mixture lean in the descent, enrichen immediately before landing. My kid does it over the runway threshold, his engine is cleaner.

But nobody gives a flying fuck. I know one wanker, their engine quit on final it was so dirty inside. They were cool with that.

I won't talk about measuring the resistance of spark plugs because no one gives a fuck about that, either.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.