CL604 Down Naples FL

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Says they found fuel in engine one but not two.

Is that from the post-crash fire?

Not sure if the water in the aft tank is significant.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

NTSB preliminary report has oil pressure annunciations on both sides within seconds of each other. I assume these are indicators of engine failure not causes but with them happening so close together it pretty well has to be due to operator actions, right?
digits

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:19 pm
NTSB preliminary report has oil pressure annunciations on both sides within seconds of each other. I assume these are indicators of engine failure not causes but with them happening so close together it pretty well has to be due to operator actions, right?
I am wondering how automated these 604s are. Are fuel shut off or tank selections done by wire, or by a computer controller? Could a short, or a faulty wiring or a stray paperclip cause a faulty fuel tank selection or the triggering of some valves?
Colonel

I think Slick is hinting at the idle cutoff levers. See Juan Brown's analysis. He thinks that if the guy
in the right seat was flying, and the guy in the left seat reached around behind the throttles for the
flap lever .....

Wasn't there a recent horrible accident in the Middle East recently, where the most experienced pilot
in the right seat reached up, cut the fuel off instead of lowering the flaps and killed everyone?

I'm not sure what we're allowed to talk about, and what we aren't but ....

Pulling back the wrong lever has caused horrible accidents for many, many decades. Hell, Howard
Hughes trashed the XF-11 doing exactly that in 1946. Not sure we've learned much in the 3/4 of a
century since then.
USAAF investigators concluded that, "It appeared that loss of hydraulic fluid caused failure of the pitch change mechanism of right rear propeller.

Mr. Hughes maintained full power of right engine and reduced that of left engine (WRONG LEVER) instead of trying to fly with right propeller windmilling without power.

It was Wright Field's understanding that the crash was attributed to pilot error,
Too many "wrong throttle" accidents to count. My friend Mike Stockton was one of them. Never
got a chance to check him out before I left.

Anyone remember this? Auto-feather and wrong throttle and everyone died.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransAsia ... Flight_235
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:42 pm
I think Slick is hinting at the idle cutoff levers.
I’m not familiar enough with the cockpit layout of any Bombardier product, but stranger things have happened. Perhaps fuel mismanagement or the siren song of the fire handles…

You can probably damn near rule out these poor guys losing the component failure lottery, though. Along with that I believe goes any notion that one quit and they accidentally secured the other.
Colonel