Being a cheap-ass pays off.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark

I’ve always thought the METAR maps are pretty cool.

Not cool enough to drop $500 on though..

I found a company: wwwdiymetar.com that sells the kit. I wasn’t sure the amount of LED’s I would need, so I ordered the 100 bundle. (They come in a string of 50)

Next hardest part was finding VNC’s (sectionals for you American types).

Went to Office Depot and found a 24”x36” for $20, backing board for $10. Free maps from the airport manager.

It took nearly 3 days to create, because there were 4 sections that needed splicing to extend the wire. I thought I had what I needed. Turns out I didn’t have it on hand and swung by to the hardware store to find 18awg wire. (Where’s radio shack when you need them…) then I ran out of time, in order to pick up jr. from daycare.
IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3525.jpeg
IMG_3526.jpeg
IMG_3527.jpeg
IMG_3534.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Nark

IMG_3552.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TwinOtterFan

I was just looking into making one of these as well, have plenty of old maps and a couple of old pi's sitting around.

What did you use for the brain?
Slick Goodlin

That’s awesome, I’ll have to add one to the build list.
Nark

I used www.diymetar.com

It has a small control box powered by usb. I’m certain there is pi software out there that runs the program.
A lesson learned was not following directions. They called for 3/8 drill to have the LED project through, but I recommend a 1/4 or 5/16 size punch. Drilling will tear the paper map.
Further, if you build your own, you can affix the LED string without the need to splice the kit.

I have a string of 50 LED’s unused, I’ll have to find another use for them. (They get stupid bright)
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com