FU Canada.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark

If you guys could stop making campfire s’mores, that would be great…
IMG_1524.jpeg
Surface visibility from the AWOS’s.
IMG_1523.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

Are the climate change activists lighting more forest fires again?

https://www.ksnt.com/news/national/ex-c ... nia-fires/
A former college professor was indicted by a federal grand jury Thursday for allegedly starting four wildfires in Northern California earlier this year

Maynard’s alleged arson spree included blazes he started in July and August behind crews fighting the Dixie Fire, which became the second biggest wildfire in California history

They eventually placed a tracking device under Maynard’s car after he was stopped briefly by police on Aug. 3. Tracking his movements for hundreds of miles, investigators said Maynard traveled to the area where the Ranch and Conard Fires erupted in the Lassen National Forest.

“It appeared that Maynard was in the midst of an arson-setting spree,” court papers said.

Maynard appears to have taught briefly at Santa Clara University and Sonoma State University, where a Gary Maynard was listed as a lecturer in criminal justice studies specializing in criminal justice, cults and deviant behavior.
I understand the same nutbars were at work in Quebec recently.

It is also noteworthy that at the time, the legacy media establishment - who probably knew all about what their buddies were up to - blamed Donald Trump and climate change for these fires. No apologies or corrections, of course.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:14 pm
Are the climate change activists lighting more forest fires again?
Seems like there’s a lot lower hanging fruit for an arsonist than this:
D659CFB2-EEE9-4912-92CB-F0EFBD4D58C8.jpeg
I just want to be allowed to have a stupid bonfire again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Biggest problem is we put them out so the underbrush doesnt get cleared out every few years. Then when one starts they have 5X the amount of fuel to burn and woooosh.

Just wait until the ESG warriors go after the insurance companies like they did with Oil and Gas and start picketing their offices for insuring people who live outside a city!

Ask zee Germans how well caving to the Greens demands is working out with shuttering Nuclear without a back up because .....(checks notes) "climate change" hmmmmmmmm
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Squaretail

Scudrunner wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:13 am
Biggest problem is we put them out so the underbrush doesnt get cleared out every few years. Then when one starts they have 5X the amount of fuel to burn and woooosh.
That's only part of it. The other part is the government only wants to spend money on fighting fires rather than preventing them. There used to be more money for detection, when we used to fly thermal, there were always donkeys out starting fires during the bans. Pretty cheap to send a ranger out to have them make sure its out than to fight it after its going. There has been less funding of rapid attack crews, and operators to be on stand by so they're ready when it does start. Squash them when they're small. The equivalent would be to not have a fire department and then have a mad panic for volunteer firemen when someone's house is already burned down, and the surrounding block is already on fire.

They should also start fining people heavily for flicking lit butts out the window. The number of fires that can be traced back to a roadside cigarette butt is ridiculous.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:13 am
Biggest problem is we put them out so the underbrush doesnt get cleared out every few years.
I’d have thought 2021 was a big enough fire season to do that. Water bomber ops were so busy in places they had to rent land to base the rotary wing birds because they physically ran out of space at the airports with all the fixed wing water bombers. 2022 saw hardly any fires at all so I assumed there was very little brush left. Boy was I wrong.
Squaretail wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:13 pm
the government only wants to spend money on fighting fires rather than preventing them. There used to be more money for detection, when we used to fly thermal
You’d think that could be done via satellite nowadays but what do I know? Some guy is probably working on a billion dollar drone (bonus if it’s a solar powered blimp!) to maybe do the job in twenty years.
Colonel

Every forest fire on Vancouver Island this year — all 46 of them — has been started by humans, though that won’t stop political opportunists from moralizing about climate change.

“On the Island, we haven’t had any natural caused fires, all 46 have been human-caused.”

A recent poll from Clean Energy Canada indicated that 7 out of 10 Canadians believe the recent wildfires have something to do with climate change.

Earlier this month, Trudeau’s former advisor and long-time pal Gerald Butts blamed climate change for the forest fires that were started by arsonists across Canada.

Butts, along with several Liberal MPs, regularly connects the forest fires in Canada to man-made climate change.
At first, you think the Left are just stupid, because they usually are.

But then you start to wonder if they’re in on it - their buddies are starting the fires, after all.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Squaretail

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:26 am

You’d think that could be done via satellite nowadays but what do I know? Some guy is probably working on a billion dollar drone (bonus if it’s a solar powered blimp!) to maybe do the job in twenty years.
Sats don't have the capability that most people think they have, at least the ones civilian agencies have access to. Some of the gap is narrowing, but airplanes still have the edge in terms of on demand access, and the higher altitudes let them cover large swaths at a time for detection purposes. I should say that it also has been problematic convincing those running wildfire management to change their thinking given the technology available. Using a helicopter to look for hot spots with a thermal imager isn't terribly effective and considerably more expensive especially to get the coverage. But detection assets usually aren't being used preventatively and proactively, they get called in to monitor existing fires which is of lesser value in my mind having seen the results.

Probably the most interesting development on this front is that I've seen projects involving real time uplinking of data transfer. In other words management can get fire/hotspot data in real time, as opposed to the current method of missions flown - data processed, which has about a four to six hour time lapse between data collection and data availability.

I could see a blimp type platform being really useful with its longer on station time, especially for preventative surveillance, Updrafts off of fires I imagine being a challenge for active fire mapping. It will still be a long time before drones will be cost effective. At the moment an old twin plus crew is still way cheaper than any suitable drone platforms. The expensive part of the operation is the sensors and the processing, and until drones get way more reliable, or unless you have the budget of the US military, you can't be risking their loss to be cost effective.

I mean if a few navajos flying around detecting fires say cut down how many wildfires get out of hand by even 10% it would probably be worth it. Especially if one of those prevents an evacuation.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:25 am
Every forest fire on Vancouver Island this year — all 46 of them — has been started by humans, though that won’t stop political opportunists from moralizing about climate change.

“On the Island, we haven’t had any natural caused fires, all 46 have been human-caused.”

A recent poll from Clean Energy Canada indicated that 7 out of 10 Canadians believe the recent wildfires have something to do with climate change.

Earlier this month, Trudeau’s former advisor and long-time pal Gerald Butts blamed climate change for the forest fires that were started by arsonists across Canada.

Butts, along with several Liberal MPs, regularly connects the forest fires in Canada to man-made climate change.
At first, you think the Left are just stupid, because they usually are.

But then you start to wonder if they’re in on it - their buddies are starting the fires, after all.
Two things can be true. Whether you believe its man-made or not, you have to be really not paying attention to not believe that there is such a thing as climate change. The glaciers are all but gone. I make a trip to the arctic every year at the same time, there's less snow every year. So many lakes are gone. Paradoxically, Calgary gets more rain, so now its not brown all year. The world is not only different since I was a kid, but different since I started flying. If you haven't observed that, well I'm not sure what to tell you.

Are most fires started by people? Of course they are. I wouldn't ascribe to malice (or political motivation) what can be attributed to selfishness and stupidity. I know so many people who despite fire bans, still go out and light campfires, ride quads and jeeps around the bush, toss cigarettes out the windows, set off fireworks, burn brush piles. That's not to mention the few purposefully started fires, usually started by guys looking to get jobs fighting fires... Who, I'm not sure if you've met these folks, aren't a bastion of left thinking people.

I'm not sure what your experience has been on this planet, but there's a lot of people out there who shouldn't be allowed to have a pack of matches.
David MacRay

I don’t think there’s a legitimate argument to make against the fact that there’s lots of “climate change.” and.. it’s causing people grief.

When an activist, has a staff preparing their steaks, often travels in a private jet and leaves the lights on in their ten thousand square foot mansion, while telling everyone else we need to buy a Prius, plus quit riding motorcycles and eating hamburgers.

I figure that’s a bit silly.