Yeti Airlines ATR Crash

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

https://airlive.net/report-yeti-atr-72- ... -position/

REPORT Yeti ATR-72 crash: data show both propellers transitioned to the feather position

The two black boxes had been read “successfully” and give first clues on what happened.
The Yeti Airline ATR-72 – reg. 9N-ANC – was carrying 68 passengers and 4 crew members when it crashed near Pokhara International Airport.

Announcing that the two black boxes had been read “successfully” in Singapore, the AIC (air accident investigation committee) clarified on February 6, 2023 that “the flight data recorder (FDR) and the Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) of Yeti Airlines ATR-72 indicates that an engine problem was the cause of the plane crash on January 15 in Pokhara ”.

And specifies a little further: the first analysis of the FDR indicates that “the propellers of the two engines transitioned to the feather position before the crash “. The NAIC points out, however, that the reason for this ” is still being determined, with human factors as well as technical factors being still under investigation ”.

None of the 68 passengers and 4 crew members survived: 53 Nepalese, five Indians, four Russians, two South Koreans and a Frenchman, an Irishman, an Australian and an Argentinian (including six children) were on board , the two pilots and two cabin crew members being all Nepalese.
Sounds like someone feathered the wrong prop or grabbed the wrong lever……

Never flew the ATR but as the kids say this is “sus”

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

Exhibit A:
D268F791-5F8D-42D7-809B-98398F824EA2.jpeg

Apparently a *thing* during an engine failure in that bird.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Looks complicated to me :?
Slick Goodlin

I’ve never flown an ATR but if this really is more or less a repeat of that other ATR accident what gives? Is it easy to feather the wrong engine for reasons other than just hurrying and screwing up?
Nark

Pure speculation ahead:

In the Army, (Army Aviation) as a carry over from say WW2 and/or Vietnam, pilots were taught from day 1 of ground school that for each Emergency Procedure (EP’s) it had to be done from memory and spit it out as fast as you can.
Enter thousands of lessons learned from airlines, (sometimes 4-bars do good things Col… :P) and a few crashes of perfectly good (flyable helicopters) the Army is finally getting on board of the CRM (TEM) type of EP response.

Thankfully some aviation commanders are seeing the good in it, and are implementing it. Even better the commanding General is saying so too.. but some are resistant to change.

With all that said, I can easily see that in different cultures, removing the Godliness from the captain is hard. I fly with brand new captains, and I need to remind them of simple things. Slowing down is sometimes a good thing in an emergency, because we’ve seen the result of pulling back the wrong engine and making a fatal error.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Scudrunner
Site Admin

It’s all gone downhill since they gave parachutes to pilots at the end of WW1.
Colonel

Fast hands in the cockpit is a great way to get killed.

People who aren’t too bright sometimes confuse activity for progress.

If you watch cockpit footage of a very experienced pilot doing something very demanding, you will notice that he is barely moving.

Any master (of anything) is a minimalist.

I will somewhat immodestly post the following video of me pulling maximum design G at Clmax from a vertical dowline at 500 AGL to the surface.

99.99999% of pilots will never do thst. Note how motionless I am.

Some thing with Rob Holland and Skip Stewart and Sean Tucker.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:01 pm
Looks complicated to me :?
Maybe a blind, rushed swipe at the flap lever hit the props instead?