Anyone looking for a 310?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Here’s a 310 K. Looks a bit too good to be true. Maybe they just don’t use it and want the money back they bought it for in 1997.

http://www.planesandboats.com/1966-cessna-310k/

Colonel

I like the 310. I don’t like what 100LL costs now.
David MacRay

Yeah, that’s a bit of a problem.
Colonel

There are two problems with a six-cylinder twin older than any woman I’ve ever had sex with:

1) each of the first two annuals is going to cost half of what I pay for it and

2) avgas isn’t a buck a gallon
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:48 pm
The stupid Moth is north of a hundred bucks an hour in fluids these days. I don’t even want to think about feeding whatever drags a 310 around…
Slick Goodlin

Still, could be worse
digits

You can buy Twins surprisingly cheap. Perhaps even cheaper in Canada than in the US. I would say the one from the first post is correctly priced. It's certainly not excessively cheap.

I passed 2 annuals now, and certainly didn't spend anything near 50% of the purchase value. I'm sure it's possible, but it's not a necessity.

To add, if you compare it to a classic 172 or pa28 type of airplane, you'll end up burning just over twice the amount of fuel (22 GPH vs 9 GPH), and you'll be going just under twice as fast (170 KTS vs 95 KTS). Your range and comfortable altitude increases as well. So you might be able to skip a fuel stop, saving you time and possibly some money. That might be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on what your goal is.

If you want to get somewhere (cost per mile), they can be great. If you just want to fly around (cost per hour), you're likely wasting some money with a twin.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:48 pm
The fuel is the cheap part of owning a Cessna twin these days. Cessna really wants those things out of service.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Colonel

I hear ya, but Cessna could easily issue MSB’s “erring on the side of caution” and ask the FAA to make them AD’s in the name of “safety” if they wanted. The cost of the AD parts and labor would exceed the value of the aircraft by 10x and that would ground them all permanently.

But, they don’t.
digits

I don't really have that feeling. Cessna seems to put an effort into keeping their old planes flying. They have their aging aircraft program. There's still support for repairs. On the twin cessna forum their regularly are stories about people dealing with Cessna to get exotic repairs approved etc. It seems to cost a couple thousand dollars to get anything approved, but for a repair that costs at least 10 times as much, that's not completely excessive.

I believe you pay the same fee for the singles, but chances are somebody already attempted any possible repair on those by now.

Rumors have it that Piper is much harder to deal with if you own ancient aircraft.