Wingview Wednesday

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

Colonel wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:53 pm
That all changed with GPS which allowed pilots to collide out in the middle of nowhere.
Is this because pilots tend to be flying roughly the same paths now?

Colonel

Pilots started flying precisely between locations in databases which artificially concentrated traffic.

The first LORANs and GPS in common use did not have aviation databases - you added your own waypoints.

Massive databases and amazing color panels (which pilots look at, instead of looking outside) came along later.

All the fashionable pilots today have at least four or five pads mounted in the cockpit, blocking the view outside, which they don't need, because they tactically use their pads for traffic avoidance in the pattern, because all airplanes are equipped with ADS-B.

That worked really well at Watsonville. I didn't mind all the people dying so much - they made their bad decisions and faced the resulting consequences - but I felt bad about the dog.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Squaretail

All Alberta is like this.

Super Puma at work.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TwinOtterFan

I could smell the smoke in my house this morning, the haze was definitely thicker as well.

20230516_092016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nark

My jumpseater took some pics on the way out of Cali recently.
IMG_4510.jpeg
IMG_4494.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Slick Goodlin

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:20 pm
I could smell the smoke in my house this morning
You could smell it in NW Ontario yesterday too.
TwinOtterFan

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:44 am
TwinOtterFan wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:20 pm
I could smell the smoke in my house this morning
You could smell it in NW Ontario yesterday too.
Man, I did not know it reached that far already. I remember a couple of years ago flying in Brampton I had to turn back amd land because of visibility. Crazy it can span that far.
Colonel

Back in the last 1980's IIRC a third of Manitoba burned down, and the smoke drifted downwind to eastern Ontario, and I remember that we had shit vis for the entire fucking summer.

No GPS in those days, kids. I had just removed all the ancient radio nav from my Maule (VOR, ADR) so all I had was a map.

Is that global warming? Because we just had the fucking coldest, wettest spring here I can ever remember. Does global warming cause cold, wet weather? I remember the brain trust on TrashCan™ lecturing me that it did.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Nark

Definitely not taken by me leaving Bogota, Colombia yesterday:
IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Had some fun going into MKC the other day.
IMG_1864.jpeg
IMG_0015.png
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.