Import blues?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

I’m just browsing but…

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... e-aircraft

Looks like a pretty nice little champ. Could use a wood prop, a possibly legal radio and xponder.

Slick Goodlin

Looks like the ad is gone. Did you buy it?
David MacRay

No. Now I think it might have been as nice as it seemed.
Colonel

The thing about the airplane is that it looked expensive but whomever did the rebuild almost certainly lost their shirt.

That kind of sad arithmetic is why these airplanes are disappearing.

See, even if you get a project “for free” and put $150,000 into it rebuilding it, it’s only worth $50,000 when it’s done, and you can be certain people will bitch about the price … it’s too expensive despite the fact that you lost $100,000 and god knows how many years on that deal.

So really, the project airplane has a negative value of $100,000 which the current owner should pay you, for you to take it off his hands and just break even.

You probably won’t believe this, but even when I patiently explain this economic reality to people, very few of them will pay me $100,000 to take their old aircraft off their hands.

The above is what makes sense, and is sad. If you have a soul, you will say fuck it and restore say an elderly Beech 18 which like a 12 year old incontinent dog at the pound, is probably not the wisest choice, but is the one I would make.

Tell the wife you’re going to amortize the rebuild cost over a thousand hours of flying afterwards.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
David MacRay

It was a reasonable price by today standards. I feel like it might be something TC would want to keep out of the country. Going by the pictures and description it looked like a really nice rebuilt Champ.
Colonel

True. An airplane that old is going to have enough FAA 337’s filed on it (for modification or repair)
you are guaranteed that at least one has unacceptable data or practices for TC.

Best to try to import a new airplane that has never been damaged or modified - flown straight from the factory.

Mind you a friend did just that recently and they still made his life living hell. Think about why they had to do that.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
David MacRay

Another nice champ. Nice old timey Navy trainer paint job.
It even has a wood propeller already. Pretty sweet.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... e-aircraft
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I know a guy who was importing a yak from the USA. Thing was stock.

No one at TC had a clue what to do as it was to be the first of its kind in Canada. Took forever, in the end it was signed off pretty easily but never try to be a trailblazer with government.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
David MacRay

Well, there’s been a few Champs brought in, that doesn’t mean they won’t make me rue the day I attempt to bring one more in.